2-stroke mixture

I have a generator (cheap end) never used for 7 years so going to get it working and sell on. I only intend to mix up a ltre of petrol to a small amount of oil for the 2-stroke mix. Just to get it working for test purposes. For my purposes could I use either oil I have for the car or some oil I have for the chain saw. for my short running time would the oil be that important?
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 19:41:00 +0000, ss wrote:

I assume the chain saw oil is proper 2 stroke oil so that is what you should use.
--
Ermin

Ermin laid this down on his screen :

Chain saw oil is the sticky oil, intended to stick to and lub the chain as it flies around, wrong stuff for a two stroke.
Car engine oil at a pinch is better than nothing.

'Chain Saw Oil' is, generally, oil for the *chain* not engine oil.
--
Chris Green
·

On 18/03/2019 20:32, Chris Green wrote:

OK thanks, I will double check the oils tomorrow.
On 18/03/2019 20:11, Ermin wrote:

No. a lot of 'chain saw oil' is in fact oil for the chain, not the engine
you can get a tiny little capsule of 2 stroke oil to mix with 5 litres of petrol
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
--
“Ideas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

Not if he is talking about chain oil. Its very different to 2 stroke oil and I wouldn’t use it in place of 2 stroke oil.
Cheapskate! Besides there are rumblings that this sort of engine will be outlawed for pollution reasons pretty soon so I'd shift it before that happens!
Brian
--
----- --
On 19/03/2019 08:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

Not really practical to ban them retro respectively, heaven knows how many there must be on chainsaws, lawnmowers, motorbikes, generators,...
They could stop the sale of new ones but trying to stop people using existing ones would be virtually impossible.
Even if they stopped the sale of 2 stroke oil, people would use something else - probably generating more pollution.
For running power tools etc the 2 stroke generators are fine. I have one I used to use charge batteries but I've now got a 4 stroke invertor one which runs off propane (or petrol). The 2 Stroke one was under £100 new, the 4 Stroke nearer £1000. You can see why people like the 2 stroke ones.
--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
On 19/03/2019 21:26, Brian Reay wrote:

The four stroke alternator ones are OK for power tools too. The speed dips a bit while an angle grinder is cranking up.
On 18/03/2019 19:41, ss wrote:

I think that all of the cheap generators that I have seen have been four strokes (copied from a Honda engine). Just saying.
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:58:03 +0000, newshound

I have one of the smaller (600VA?) ones that seemed quite popular a while back that is definitely a two stroke.
The 3kW is a 4/ and Honda powered. ;-)
I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last time I tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs) very well and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-(
I gave my other 3kW genny (Honda clone powered) to a mate and he keeps it in and runs it from his van.
Cheers, T i m
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 12:15:28 +0000

Wasn't that because it's regulated to 3000 RPM?

I don't know, is it?
Cheers, T i m
On Tue, 19 Mar 2019 21:04:41 +0000

It might be if it's a simple alternator rather than using an inverter.

I'm pretty sure it's a very basic unit and so likely (then?) only a very simple alternator with some basic voltage regulation?
I get that (therefore) it wouldn't put out as much (electrical) power at low revs but I wasn't really interested in that at the time, just that it could tickover before being used to do something real (like charge a car battery as a form of boost charger).
Cheers, T i m
On 21/03/2019 11:35, T i m wrote:

I don't know about small generators, but why would a simple generator have a tickover speed, even on low or no load? It needs to maintain a frequency of around 50Hz, so it needs to run at around 3000 rpm (for a simple two-pole generator).
SteveW
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 11:35:14 +0000

If it's a simple alternator it has to run at 3000 RPM to produce 50 Hz output - no reason for it to run at any other speed. It's not smart smart enough to idle until something starts drawing current, although there may be a manual switch to do that.

"I also have a little 12V 2/ genny and whilst it 'ran' the last time I tried it, it wouldn't tick over (or even run a lowish revs) very well and that was probably down to crank seals. ;-("
Cheers, T i m
On 21/03/2019 02:16, Rob Morley wrote:

The cheap ones are just an alternator, I've never checked how close they run to 50 Hz.