Pennies

What's the base metal modern 'coppers' are made from? I realise they're plated. Just out of curiosity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Steel I think, certainly magnetic.

Reply to
Andy Burns

mmm that reminds me - anyone know of a reasonable uptodate scrap metal pricing website ?

ta JimK

Reply to
jim

Steel core but more than just plating, which I tend to few as, at most, a layer a few thou thick.

Dave Liquorice

Yes - I know they're magnetic. But they seem lighter than steel.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

RubberBiker

Vortex4

=A0 =A0 London SW

london metal exchange ?

Reply to
Jethro

Have you tried looking here?

if you don't want to bother looking:

Composition Bronze (97% copper, 2.5% zinc, 0.5% tin) - until September 1992 Copper-plated steel - since September 1992

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Thanks - it was only present day ones I'm interested in.

Good name for this answer.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave,

Looking at the site again, I believe that the metal content is the present day one (I missed a bit in the copy and paste) as the latest coin face design is 2008.

If that's is still not what you want, why not drop the Mint an e-mail and ask them?

Cash

Reply to
Cash

When will the first batch be ready?