Pedestal Door Hold Back

I am in need of a pair of pedestal door hold backs similar in concept to these available in New Zealand - Chant 3241 Pedestal hold back

The web site also mentions a Hester 576 series latch back but Google is not finding either in UK.

The requirement is to secure a pair of PVC French doors that open over a threshold and steps. There is a glazed panel either side of the doors so no wall to mount a horizontal stop or cabin hook onto. In any case the doors will not open full 180 degrees due to the hinge covers fouling the door frame. The drop from the centre of the bottom door rail near the outer edge of the door to the nearest step is 300mm. I suspect I am going to have to fabricate my own pillars and use a horizontal latch back mounted on same. Any help in locating a source of such an item or ideas would be much appreciated.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

My UPVC French doors have something similar to this:

They seem to cope with fairly high winds.

Reply to
Richard

The phrase "pedestal door holder" seems to be strangely specific to .nz

How wide is the panel? Would a long cabin hook do?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've encountered many creative devices to do this job before. I always thought one chaps idea so simple it surprised me nobody had made them. Basically he had some pedestals which were hollow inside, but with a kind of hole down the outside. Inside was a bit of springy metal and a little pedal sticking out. You pushed the pedal down, so the door cleared the fixed bit of the hollow bit, then released the pedal and the spring bit came up and stopped the door. However in you case I feel really you need something both sides of each door or it might strain the hinges. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Richard, the problem with the restrictors is that they do restrict the opening to 90 degrees; I want them to open almost as wide as they will go, about 170 degrees.

Andy, the very long cabin hook idea won't work on its own as it will not stop the door opening until the hinge cover hits the door frame, not good for the frame!

Brian, the concept of what you have seen is the track I am on I think but I can't quite grasp what you mean by hollow pedestals but with a kind of hole down the outside. As you say it is surprising there appears to be nothing off the shelf somewhere.

Cheers, Mike __

Reply to
mail-veil

"Brian Gaff" wrote in news:lr00sj$hf7$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I have seen the sort of thing you need in Lanzarote for holding back shutter screen doors. They act as a stop to prevent the door opening too far and hitting the wall and incorporate a catch to keep them open.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Thank you Phil, I do believe you have found the answer for me with a minor modification to your scheme in that ; I can see that the part to go on the wall could mount on a fabricated corner bracket. I feel sure the seller has an error in how much it will hold the door open by; 228mm seems surprisingly large but I shall investigate further. Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

I've seen ones similar to the no ones but they worked via magnets. Google magnetic door stops.

Pedestal is an unusual word to use there. A desk pedestal is generally a set of drawers under a desk otherwise a pedestal you might put your wife on if you were feeling kindly towards her.

Reply to
fredsmithdc