Patio doors upstairs. Why?

Tim Downie wrote in

and disembark. You can see the port navigation light reflected on the soffit.

Reply to
PeterMcC

-That's just daft - and looks it!

-Could be a railing inside though.

All fairly daft, but the daftest of all - why are there handles and keyholes on the outside??

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Lets be sensible and logical!

If they open there must be a railing for H&S reasons

There is no railing on the outside, therefore there must be one on the inside.

The doors must therefore open outwards (as far is one can tell this looks likely from the overlaps)

Why? Maybe the rooms are small and having the doors opening outwards is the way of not compromising the space inside. The railing will be in the reveal and all you need are door closer/openers/adjustment bars.

That's my guess (still doesn't answer why there are handles outside, they would have been much nicer flush!)

Unless these count as loft conversions and it is a (now allowed) alternative to a Velux escape window (guess 2).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Agreed with the "handles on the outside look and are daft" comments.

But they could open inwards. Imagine a removable barrier. Specifically intended for things like getting wardrobes, beds and grand pianos up to the first floor.

Standard doors just might work out cheaper than special windows at that size.

Reply to
Rod

Which raises the question of whether they were installed by a company that was FENSA certified.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Not necessarily, if it's a domestic premises.

It would make sense though.

Perhaps TMH could build them a raised decking outside the doors...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Perhaps there was a compliant railing for the inspection and it's since been removed. An acquaintance installed an unusual barrier (not a railing) that way.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

But why have opening doors at all? This is the third house locally I've seen like this and I somehow doubt that they all have grand pianos that they want to hoist in through these doors. They're a poor way of providing any sort of adjustable ventilation and rubbish for enjoying the view through (compared to a big window).

I don't think any of these could be classed as loft conversions. I just genuinely puzzled about the reasons for their installation.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Just take the squares out of the handles. The handles are kept because it's the easiest way of weatherproofing the hole.

I've seen it done when off-the-shelf doors were cheaper than custom- sized windows.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

why dont you knock & ask?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Are you under the impression that he is sixteen feet tall? ;-)

Reply to
PJ

I suppose it's not H&S as such, which implies workplace involvement, but it's absolutely against building regs - no way would that arrangement pass an inspection, unless there's something we can't see on the inside.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It could be a planning loophole - they would not get planning for a balcony. I guess there would be a barrier inside for building regs. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

-why dont you knock & ask?

Please knock and ask! I want to know if I'm right (sad).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

If it is a planning loophole, they might think you're an undercover planning inspector and be a bit cagey. Else, "ooh do come up and I'll show you ... look we haven't got a rail inside either ... splat !" Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson