patio door removal

Hi !, new suite on order - we are going to have to remove the 'sliding pane' of the patio door in order to get it in

where do we start ?

regards Mike

Reply to
mikey mike

Of course this may not apply to yours but, in the open position it should be possible to lever the door up off the bottom runner and then move it out and down, releasing the top. You shouldn't be able do this in the closed position (clearly, for security reasons). This procedure is fraught with:

a) difficulty - it'll be very heavy and suitable levers are scarce b) possibility of damage to the bottom edges

some great big sucking handles to go on the glass would also help, if you can get them

Reply to
Bob Mannix

closed

I needed to have a large window pane removed to get a sofa in, and although I knew how to do it, I also knew the large pane would be very heavy so I contacted a double glazing company who sent 2 men around in the morning to remove the pane and they came back at the end of the day and put it back again. they only charged me £30 and well worth the money imho as I was worried about it getting broken.

Reply to
AK

I paid 50 quid to a removal company, to get my huge sofa from storage on the other side of town and into my back room, via a route that consisted of going through the end terrace's side passage and over two panel fences and through a sash window. Worth every penny of twice that amount.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Check the head of the frame for blocks and stuff that are designed to prevent thieves from lifting the door off and remove them. Now locate the holes in the bottom of the sides of the door and insert a phillips or pozidriv screwdriver into them and wind the wheels down. Do this with a pal as the door might drop.

Now raise the door off the runner and jiggle it out the frame. Rest it on a couple of wooden pads then tilt it over on edge to examine the wheels for wear while you have the chance. A little cleaning and some light grease will work wonders. On putting it back, you use the holes to see if you have located the runners properly before readjusting for height and plimb. Make sure you have it locking correctly before your mate disappears for the night.

Reply to
Michael McNeil

Nice to see a reply from someone who knows what he is talking about,rather than some bodgers with a crowbar.

Reply to
Alex

thanks for that mike - i'll be examining the door very closely tomorrow

Mike

Reply to
mikey mike

If you can do this, it's either an inferior design or been badly installed. My Screwfix one has blocks specifically designed to stop this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If you remove the handle and the stops you should be able to open it as far as the fixed one. If this isn't enough, they'll both have to come out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Mine are different; you have to remove the *top* track. The bottom has a short "upstand", the screws for which are only accessible with the door out, to prevent the door being lifted off. I had to

  1. Close the door
  2. Remove the visible screws in the top track.
  3. Open the door.
  4. Remove the remaining screws.
  5. Remove the door (the track comes with it) by titling the top outwards, then lifting it over the "upstand" at the bottom.

BTW, these are aluminium framed and ~10 years old.

Regards,

Parish

Reply to
Parish

Why would you want to stop this when the door is in the open position?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It means anything stopping it being raised would only be at one end, allowing it to be levered up easily even when closed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman