Outrageous spare part prices for Johnson and Starley boilers!!

Has anybody had to replace the fan speed regulator on a Johnson and Starley boiler ( Modairflow J25-32 mark III warm air boiler)

I'm being quoted day light robbery prices of over £100 for this overpriced piece of ****. Does anybody know where I can get hold of one for a reasonable price, or has anybody managed to fix the old one (- it consists of 2 huge resistor coils that glow in the dark)

Its ridiculous - a complete new boiler (different manufacturer this time round for sure, wont cost much more) Also recall that even a replacement room thermostat costs nearly £50 (non standard part of course) when some people can make the same thing for under £10.

Much appreciate any advice SledgeHammerSteve

Reply to
SledgehammerSteve

You can buy a boiler for £100??? Please point me in the direction of this supplier as I am need of a boiler for a house I'm renovating.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Hi,

Try replacing the coils with some resistive wire or power resistors.

sure you have the correct resistance and power rating and that it's electrically safe.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , Pete C writes

The resistors on a J&S Fan Speed regulator are a bit f'n big for that.

It's not two resistors, but four (two per ceramic)

OP - look at my website -

I'm the only sensible alternative, honestly

Reply to
geoff

Is it a DC motor? If not, it would make sense to replace them with something a bit more modern...

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Thank you Pete I like the idea of replacing the resistors but I dont think I have enough technical data on the components I would need to do the job. (theres very little detail on the boiler maintenance guide)

At the moment it looks like the best way out is to get Geoff to recondition the old fan speed regulator which will cost me £56 (including vat + delivery) (as opposed to £105 for a brand new unit) But Im seriously thinking about chucking out and replacing the boiler with a totally different unit whose part costs are reasonably priced.

I would still warn anybody considering buying a Johnson & Starley system - if your a pensioner make sure you budget for skyhigh part replacement costs.

[Dave-I THINK the fan is 240 V AC powered but the fan speed regulator also has a separate 30V DC feed.]

Thanks gents SledgeHammerSteve

Reply to
SledgehammerSteve

What are they like, are they resistance wire wound round a grooved ceramic former like in a radiant fire?

If so it should be fairly straightforward to measure the resistance of some of the original wire and rewind them.

Maybe you could just rewind them for the OP instead of reconditioning the whole thing.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

In message , Dave Plowman writes

No dave, it's not, and it wouldn't From an insurance point of view apart from anything else, it would be a mistake to modify it.

Reply to
geoff

In message , SledgehammerSteve writes

You must be joking, look at the price of, for example a Potterton Suprima pcb,, or a Thorn (Ideal) Apollo fan

No, it's a 24 volt drive for the relay coils

Reply to
geoff

Right. But don't you supply modified parts for other boilers?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

In message , Dave Plowman writes

No, I don't modify, I repair to original spec..

I am very careful not to modify (other than e.g. replacing with a higher wattage resistor where suitable)

Reply to
geoff

Hmm. Doubt that would stop a determined insurance company. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Its the same as with cars, buy all the parts, its about 4 times the price of buying the whole car assembled.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In message , Dave Plowman writes

How so?

Are you saying that, for example a fuse should not be replaced on a board be cause it's not the original one fitted on the pcb ?

I supply fans and pcbs for companies who work for insurance companies

Reply to
geoff

In article , SledgehammerSteve writes

I guess its the same with all boilers. A new fan for mine is over a £100

+vat and P&P - but I may have to go for that as I can't afford to be without the boiler at this time of year while Geoff refurbs the fan. Either that or keep it going with the oilcan until spring!

J.

Reply to
John Rouse

In message , John Rouse writes

What boiler?

If I have stock, I can send out up front

Reply to
geoff

That price sounds average. Boiler parts are similar prices. Have Geoff look at it.

Reply to
IMM