Part-P Inspection - How does it work?

That is pretty well the aim. Getting Jack of all trades away from lecky.

People said the same thing about corgi, but overall it is a success despite the problems with it.

I believe this is coming read the bits and bobs.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Those I have read do aim at safety and eliminating cowboys. What regs were you reading?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

legislation - apparently it was

before anyone at the ODPM

something into a few

Who advises them on the technical aspects.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So why do you imagine that this sham would be any different?

Reply to
Andy Hall

As has already been pointed out in this thread, LA inspectors will want to inspect the first-fix as part of their checking; my worry is the worst-case scenario of having to re-expose everything to prove it was OK (like BCOs are known to do with footings and lintels which have been buried to quickly by over-enthusiastic builders). That would be a big 'ouch'. I don't know how likely that scenario is - maybe some leeyway would be given dependent on the competence of the visible wiring; how naughty you'd been in avoiding building control; whether the guy trusted what you said you'd done with the hidden stuff; which side of bed he'd gotten out of that morning...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Read other posts.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The industry associations who have been pushing for this.

It further demonstrates that the whole thing was a house built on sand from the outset and has nothing to do with improving quality of work or safety and everything to do with the notion of exerting ever more control over people's lives.

Reply to
Andy Hall

So, the ministry was not to blame.

More Lord Hallisms of utter s**te.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

That's pretty thin.

This is exactly like the six stages of a project:

1 - Enthusiasm 2 - Disillusionment 3 - Panic 4 - Hunt the guilty 5 - Blame the innocent 6 - Reward for those who had nothing to do with it

This government is responsible for implementing a piece of legislation that nobody wanted apart from commercially interested industry activists.

They chose to ignore anybody who suggested that the whole thing was ill thought out and would never work properly. Several people in this NG wrote to the ODPM, including me. I wrote to Raynsford, my MP wrote to Raynsford, as did numerous others qualified to do so. All of this was ignored for what they obviously thought was easy political capital.

The first attempt at the amending legislation was a balls up. The second was little better and then there are hasty departmental memos attempting to clarify.

As to the government department involved, there is culpability also. Plenty of information was provided to them that addressing fixed wiring installation would achieve virtually nothing because virtually all electrical accidents and problems relate to appliances. This was ignored, and in the final figures was finagled to ignore inconvenient data.

Either this was incompetence or it was doing the bidding of their political masters. None of them can claim that they weren't told. They very definitely were and I have letters, copies of letters between MPs and ministers and proof of delivery of letters to demonstrate that.

They most certainly can't claim that they didn't know. They most certainly did.

It's a total shambles and Prescott should resign. Actually he should resign anyway.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No. It's to make sure no work is done without taxes etc. being paid.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lord Hall, I have ran many projects and never had any of those 6 above.

The government introduced it to save lives and improve quality. They are supposed to introduce legislation to protect us. That is why we vote for them, and a fine government they are.

I suppose you want to take away the restrictions on medicine and law as well. Let's do the lot while we are at it.

< snip Lord Hallism opinionations >

It is not a shambles at all. Prescott is the best deputy PM we have ever had and a great left hooker. My hero.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Lord Hallism is catching. There must be therapy available on then NHS.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It certainly is a "then" organisation....

Reply to
Andy Hall

That thought would scare me.

That's what they told you, and you believe it. Unfortunately the evidence doesn't support this belief.

I don't need to be protected by any government, in most aspects of life thank you. I'd prefer to make my own arrangements.

You may have done.

Don't get me started on my views on government involvement in healthcare or law.

I can certainly believe the last sentence.

Reply to
Andy Hall

All on time and on budget.

Lord Hallisms is not evidence of anything.

More rambling Lord Hallisms.

I voted for Tone.

I suppose we must have to be healthless and lawless in Lord Halls utopia.

That is true.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

What's known in the trade as a lie.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's what the law is intended to make you do. The BCO does not really want to be involved they will act as an agency for getting a registered electrician to inspect the work and charge 100+VAT for their efforts.

Since very few members of the public know anything about these regulations - I think you can be fairly safe in assuming it is going to be observed in the breach for quite a while.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

I tend to agree. In many ways the situation is much the same as gas work. You need to find a registered installer who is prepared to test & sign off the installation as compliant.

However because the electrical jobs are likely to be much smaller the cost of getting someone in is highly disproportionate.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Yup. One of my questions when doing a "Landlords'" is "Is this the first time you are letting the property?". Because if it is then there is likely to be quite a few things that will need doing to brings things up to standard.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Ah I see the difficulty now. There is no way any job can be regularised after the event. 8-( That's a pain.

Reply to
Ed Sirett