Parking at Aldi

The one that prompted my Original Post has the terminal in the 'foyer' area, the notice does not mention anything about having to actually buy anything. Our nearest Waitrose allows a period of free parking depending on the value of your receipt.

Reply to
Davey

Along with a code, to prove you've made a purchase. But not all stores would need to do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You'll have to ask the shop their policy on that

and then test it in court if you don't like the answer

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It only applies where Aldi/Lidl are offering the only free car park in an area surrounded by paid for car parks.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It could be the shop has the terminals inside it or whatever - so you'd have to at least visit the shop to get your 'free' parking. Which may not suit those who just want to park free and go elsewhere.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Best thing is to type in someone else's number. Someone you don't like.

Reply to
harry

How the f*ck is that going to fool the ANPR system?

Reply to
ARW

When we lived in the States, we would often see speed restrictions ".. on school days only". Not having children, this meant nothing to us.

Reply to
Davey

Their fault when people start screaming at them about their stupid system (madam we can not do anything about it we do not run the car park) :)

Reply to
F Murtz

I stopped at our local Tesco today. There is a very clear sign that says that ANPR cameras are in use, although I could not see any, and that 2 hours of free parking are allowed, as "You, the Customers, have told us that you cannot always find a parking place". If the two hours are exceeded, then a fine of £70 is charged. There are no terminals for entering numbers. Well, the car park there is never, ever, full, the main problem is that the spaces are too close together, making opening car doors a difficult or dangerous procedure, so I sincerely doubt that lack of spaces is a problem. Morrison's next door have wider spaces. But the conditions for free parking, and the consequences for overstaying, are clearly posted.

Reply to
Davey

I presume the sign actually calls it a "Parking Charge"?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'll check when I'm next there, whenever that is. Google Streetview doesn't go there. But it is clear under what circumstances you will be expected to pay it, and the amount. The sign also gives the name of the company managing the parking.

Reply to
Davey

... and the Supreme Court has dismissed the appeal by Beavis and has said that the £85 penalty is reasonable.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

So I see. It thought that the instant increase of the charge to £150 f or refusing to pay might have had a better chance of being considered unreasonable, though. So it looks as though the Tesco one is valid, whatever it says.

Reply to
Davey

- So I see. It thought that the instant increase of the charge to ?150 for

- refusing to pay might have had a better chance of being considered

- unreasonable, though.

Is that part of the judgement ?

Surely if the original ?85 penalty is considered reasonable, then anyone refusing to pay it is acting unreasonably,. And therebty forefeits any right to be treated reasonably as a result of that refusal.

- So it looks as though the Tesco one is valid, whatever it says.

Such penalties have always been valid. The only doubts arose because of the "apparent" reluctance of parking companies to take people to Court. The point about the "apparent" being that there's no actual hard evidence. Only anecdotal evidence by refusniks who've torn letters up, allegedly. Rather than any evidence from people who've paid up.

All Beavis has achieved is to ensure that parking companies are more likely to pursue such claims in future. To the bitter end if needs be.

michael adams

michael adams

The sign says that, by using the parking facility, "You agree to pay a Charge of £70 for a stay longer than the 2-hour Free period".

Reply to
Davey

Theirs :-)

Reply to