Parcel delivery problems

The problem of not being in when your Screwfix/Toolstation parcel arrives has been discussed here before.
Spotted one of these at a customers house yesterday http://www.asgardsss.co.uk/detail.php?pro_code=Home&cat_level=0&cat_code=HD
Not cheap, but free delivery - as long as you are at home when it arrives.....
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

An alternative.
http://www.mybybox.com
Costs £50/year and you have to travel to your closest of a UK network of boxes to get your goods.
Ideal for those things normally wrapped discretely in brown plain wrapping paper... (hey, what am I typing?..)
--
Adrian C

Add pictures here
βœ–
Adrian C wrote:

My nearest is miles away.

Don't know what you mean....
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:42:52 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

pro_code=Home&cat_level=0&cat_code=HD
Same here.

Probably not what he said! I suspect he means 'discreetly'!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

I wonder how they get round the credit card company / vendor only delivering to the address that the card is registered to? Good idea though.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 11:29:54 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

And their website is broken:
Find my nearest by box > enter a postcode choose (eh should that be find or search?) produces:
XML Parsing Error: not well-formed Location: http://www.mybybox.com/Register/Step1 Line Number 42, Column 56:
--
Cheers
Dave.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Oct 9, 5:14 pm, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:

It worked for me, but my nearest box is much further to walk than the post delivery office, and they only keep things until the end of the following day.
Owain
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 09/10/2010 17:57, Owain wrote:

Mine is outside the local Tesco, so could be useful. Can't get my head round the logistics of the thing though. Postman arrives at the box site with parcel, then what happens? How does it get into my box?
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:24:50 +0100, stuart noble wrote:

There's no 'your' box and the parcel isn't sent there directly. It goes to their own distribution address, they then deliver it to a spare 'box' at the location. They then text you an access code.
Would be useful if nearer.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
βœ–
On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 19:47:45 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Hmmm. Just noticed you have to pick up by the end of the next day. And the parcel is only covered for 50 quid, and only if 'their' fault.
And there's a fair use policy of two parcels a week.
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
βœ–
Bob Eager wrote:

And there's a size limit of 89cm x 51cm x 66cm. So if the sender packs something in a unexpectedly big box (as they sometimes do) then I assume it gets sent back and you probably get landed with any excess carriage charges.
--
Mike Clarke

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Oct 9, 11:12 am, "The Medway Handyman" <davidl...@no-spam- blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

So you have to leave it unlocked and you can have a maximum of one parcel delivered before the same problem recurs?
Presumably the woman in the photograph was just lucky enough to have six parcels delivered by the same courier at the same time.
I think leaving it with the neighbours is a better option.
Add pictures here
βœ–
mike wrote:

Thats about it yes. The guy I was working for said it was only a minor problem.

Presumably yes.

If any of them are in.
I've solved my problem by having stuff delivered to a hotel where I have a regular contract. They are open 24/7 and conveniently located.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

A better design would have a night-safe-style rotating door, as well as the big lid.
That way at least smaller packages could be added throughout the day.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I suspect that the average thief would just use a wreaking bar to open it in 10 seconds and they wouldn't bother a key or leaving it in pristine condition when they leave.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk

I have a plastic box that I don't lock and have yet to loser a parcel from it.
A metal box like that will probably be stolen for its scrap value, it can't be difficult it only has 6 mm anchors.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote

Actually I was very impressed by the build quality - built like a tank. Similar to those Van Vaults.
Angle grinder would do it mind.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Possible the same quality steel as used in some of the heavy duty filing cabinets they once supplied where I worked. If someone had lost the key the trick was to drill a hole just above the lock big enough for an opened-up paper clip. The paper clip was then used to release the locking mechanism.
--
Alan
news2009 admac myzen co uk
On 09/10/10 17:17, Alan wrote:

I've been considering making up a dropbox out of ply with a Yale type lock on the lid. Good enough for aroundhere...
Add pictures here
βœ–

The point is - would the delivery bloke actually _use_ something like that, even if it was painted dayglow orange with a big sign saying "Parcels in here please"?
I really doubt it. 8-)
It might just work if you have one particular delivery driver that you can educate...
The question of a signature is another matter.
--
Frank Erskine

Add pictures here
βœ–