PAN has just crashed then refused to start up.

That is, it launches, displays the window, then immediately crashes. Assuming that this may take a while to sort out, I am switching over to Thunderbird for the moment.

First big question - how do you set up and manage a kill file?

Reply to
A Nonymouse

Second big question - why will it not sort by date? It will sort by Author and oldest date seems to work but date at the top of the screen doesn't.

Reply to
A Nonymouse

Tools | Message filters, and take it from there. Or, if you've a message up on screen and you want to use that as the basis, Message | Create filter from Message.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I usually sort by "order received"

Reply to
Robin

Ta.

Reply to
David

Windows or Linux ?

If it's Linux, restoring a backup of the ~/.pan2 folder might help. It's cured my issues a few times.

Having had evolution mess me around recently (kept on whining about app passwords for hotmail) I've reverted to Thunderbird for email. I can't remember why I stopped using it for usenet, but I may try again. PAN has some quirks that get on my t*ts.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I am remembering why I stick with PAN because it is close to what Outlook Express used to be for reading and managing messages.

On PAN I have a window for the posts in the NG and another window for the contents of the post. Select a post and see the contents. Press the space bar and see the next post.

You can do much the same with Windows Mail. When you select a message to view in a separate window you also get previous/next buttons. Not worked out how to do this in Thunderbird and I don't want the message to open automatically in case it tries to execute the content.

Ho hum.

Dave R

Reply to
David

Windows.

Windows 7 seems solid.

Windows 10 seems quite petulant.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Tools=>Filters

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You can do the same with thunderbird.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had that with Pan version 0.146 on Win 10 Home/64. I uninstalled Pan and installed version 0.144 which works.

Reply to
The Other John

I had trouble with pan some time ago. Sylpheed was recommended. I tried it and remained with it.

Reply to
pinnerite

thunderbird never executes scripts inside emails.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just got round to fixing this.

Tried reinstalling latest version, repair failed, remove then reinstall failed.

Tried previous version from file server. Grumbled about missing dll, reinstalled GTK and it has now sprung to life with all the data still there.

Will be interesting to see if crashes linked to mouse movements have gone as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David