Use of RJ11 for mains !!

During a discussion elsewhere someone has suggested using a curly phone cable, with RJ11 connectors, to carry low-current 230V mains. This seems like madness to me. The proposer supports the argument with a copy of a phone cable spec that shows the cable is rated at 300V, but they forget the connector spec is rather less than that. Am I being an overly safety-conscious dinosaur?

Reply to
nothanks

230/2440VAC has peaks in excess of 240 x sqrt(2) = 340V

If both the cable and connector is truly rated at 300VAC then I guess it does conform, though I would insist on a note that it is not custom and practice to use such cable and connectors and not your decision to use them. Plus good labelling and correct fusing.

Reply to
Fredxx

The connectors are not touch safe and would fall foul of the regulations for use in domestic environments. A lot of the old Bulgin plug and socket styles failed that, even though they were rated for mains.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

I've found the specs for RJ11 and RJ45 now - the idea has been killed and common sense has returned (I hope)

Reply to
nothanks

you can buy curly mains cables

Reply to
charles

Why would they want to do that?

Reply to
Max Demian

I believe it's a Bad Idea to do "surprising" things. Even if you can.

The old adage "just because you can, doesn't mean you should" seems particularly appropriate around potentially lethal electric currents.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I think a system could be mechanically designed such that fingers couldn't get to the connectors so conform.

Still a bad idea.

Reply to
Fredxx

To save a very small amount of money - madness! Fortunately they've seen sense.

Reply to
nothanks

The real problem is the mis-use of a connector that is assumed to carry low voltages to carry a much higher voltage. People may damage equipment if they plug a 240 V RJ45 connector into a device that is expecting to see a few volts for Ethernet signals or for power-over-Ethernet. There is also the risk of the live pins, shrouded though they are by the plastic of the connector, touching a person - suppose you pick up the connector by the pin end and your finger end happens to compress enough to touch two pins with

240 V between them.

One connector, one signal. That's why I don't like to see devices that have a 3.5 mm plug on the end of a cable from a PSU (I have a rechargeable razor like this). Not dangerous, but if you plugged that into an audio device with that socket, you'd probably damage it.

Reply to
NY

RMS to Peak is SQRT(2) or 1.414 times. 230V * 1.414 = 325V

If you test on a shaver socket, or if you test with a mains distribution which is "higher than nominal", your insulation needs additional margin. Some mains can be 270V instead of 230V. Well outside the allowed value. The shaver transformer is good for higher voltages like that.

And... only a fool would do this on an *outside* install. I assume this is a power connection to the shed. Many cables are not UV rated and cannot be used (for long) in full sunlight.

Even proper cable, requires good installation technique by the person doing the install. The cable is not likely to be the only expense, on an outdoor install.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

A two pin flexible mains cable socket fits nicely into a 3 pin XLR plug!

Reply to
charles

There was once an XLR mains connector, the LNE model, but this was discontinued long ago due to safety issues in domestic use.

Before the XLR, the BBC used the LNE version of the EP series for mains.

I've built a unit for sending mains down a SMPTE hybrid fibre/copper cable, using the LEMO connector in common broadcast use. I do test for one of my units being on the other end of the cable before turning on the mains, as many broadcast cameras (£30K-ish) also use this cable.

Reply to
Joe

Not just the BBC - they were fitted to Marconi cameras, but the pin allocation was different!

Reply to
charles

Even if the connector were rated 300v, it still wouldn't be adequate, because the RMS might well be 240v, but the peak is 336v.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Not only that, but the safety standards assume there will be spikes on top as well.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

....and some charge amplifiers.

Reply to
Smolley

There is a huge amount to be said for 'leave it so a total noob can fix it', Stick to what is reasonable to expect.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I can think of a few things to consider... The wire cross section even on CAT5e is something like 0.17mm^2, with a max continuous current draw of 1.5A. So let's hope the thing on the end of the wire does not need overload protection.

DC resistance is 140 mOhms/m so say you had a 1m lead, connected to a supply point with say a loop impedance of 1.37Ohms (the max loop impedance for a B32 MCB), your prospective fault current would be:

230 / 1.51 = ~152A

Quick check with the adiabatic equation:

s = sqrt(I^2 t) / k

If we use the normal k value for PVC, and fault clearing time requirement of 0.1 sec, then we get a minimum cross section of ~ 0.42mm.

So basically you have no fault protection - the cable could burst into flames or vaporise on a short circuit.

That is before you get to the problems of the normal RJ style connectors being mail and unshrouded - so a plug on both ends of the wire!

Not at all.

Reply to
John Rumm

Am 08.03.2023 um 12:40:41 Uhr schrieb snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com:

Do not do this. The contacts at the plugs and sockets don't have a protection against touching it. This is a health risk.

Reply to
Marco Moock