RJ11 cable.

The sort of (US?) telephone plug you get on some cordless phone base units and modems? Is it RJ11? Has 6 terminals but often for a phone only two populated.

I need a lead with all six populated. Only really need the one plug to tails - but can always cut one plug off if needed.

What do I look for?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

6P2C IIRC. The so-called RJ11 is a surprisingly misunderstood connector considering its ubiquity.

Graham.

etc

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, RJ11

The "RJ" name isn't the name of the connector, it's the scheme of which pins are populated, an RJ11 uses a 6P2C and an RJ25 uses a 6P6C

So an RJ25 cable is what you want, but don't expect them all the labelled correctly, this one is though

But unless you want four, and don't mind paying more for postage than the cables, shop around ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It's actually for a MegaJolt car ignition system. The lead that connects to your PC to programme it. That connector at the unit end and a DB9 at the other end (serial port) They can be bought, but cost rather a lot, so thought I'd make one, as I have plenty of DB9.

The spare phone lead I have here has the wrong 2 pins connected. Looking more closely at the PCB it appears to have just four out of the six in use

- although two may well just be grounds. 2-4 appear to be connnected, and

1&6 not. So any lead with those 4 connected should be ok as a basis.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

US leads tend to have the centre two (3+4) wired, but UK devices often require the next outer two (2+5) presumably following the 2+5 wires from a BT B631A plug?

6P4C aka RJ14

yeah, devices with serial connections hardly ever seem to use hardware flow control nowadays ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

En el artículo , Graham. escribió:

Spotted one at the car boot sale this morning, 6P6C RJ11 plug to RJ11 plug, 6 wire flat cable, about 5 metres, 20p.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Ah - that explains things. Had a dig round my spare leads and found another which was connected 2&5

Right. They seems easy enough to get from Ebay for a couple of quid and free postage.

It's only for initial setting up, so speed etc doesn't much matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ebay one arrived on time, fitted to the DB9, and works just fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1 !
Reply to
Bob Eager

DB 9 is the common name. Try Ebay-ing it. Sadly, it is often best to just go with the flow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)