Painting with exterior emulsion

I have just had the outside of my new kitchen extension sand/cement
waterproof rendered. I now want to paint it with exterior emulsion. What is
the process for painting new render.
Thanks
Reply to
TWEEZER
Put brush in paint and move brush up and down on wall?
i.e. nothing special., HOWEVER if the wall is subject to driving rain and heavy frost, consider using a waterproofer first. I got SOME spalling on a new render wall where the rain was 'bouncing' off some lead topped window frames, soaking into the render and freezing - this on a dank north west facing wall.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
S/SW facing is the most vulnerable in the long term. A solvent based pliolite paint from e.g. Johnstones would be a better bet than ordinary masonry paint. Expensive, but well worth it IME
Reply to
Stuart Noble
Looking at the houses round here, all S/SW facing windows are shot to pieces, or have been replaced. Opposite side of the road, mostly original woodwork.
Reply to
Stuart Noble
Quite. The lifetime of paint on the windows in S/W facing rear of our house was about 18 months, no matter how carefully it was prepared and what paint was used. I gave up and had uPVC instead. The masonry paint lasts quite well.
Reply to
Huge
IME standard water based masonry paint is mainly cosmetic. It survives if the masonry itself is in good nick. The pliolite stuff is better on degraded render and IME is very effective against penetrating damp.
Reply to
Stuart Noble
Often paint flakes off from the wood itself, so a lot depends on the primer and correct preparation.
Ironically some better quality timber is harder to get the primer to stay on.
The best primer and paint for this sort of thing is usually absent from the shelves of the local 'shed'....
cheers, Pete.
Reply to
Pete C

Site Timeline Threads