Exterior painting

Hi, Wonder if anyone can give some guidance re painting the outside of my house. Just been made redundant so can work full time on it. I have read a few books and they all make sense except for a few ( probably stupid ) questions.

I have a few hairline cracks, that have been checked and are not serious. What would be the best way to fill these so the hopefully do not open up.

I understand I should clean the walls first, is it a case of a bucket of water and sugar soap and scrubbing ?

The walls are quite rough, is it still possible to use a roller ?

For the wood behind the gutters etc , is it ok to use "one coat" paint, (trying to lessen the time up the ladder.)

The paintwork at the moment (magnolia) has a few light green stains, where I think rain has dripped of the rough wall finish. Is there anyway to reduce this happening ?

Am I right that two coats are better in the long run ?

Can anyone recommend an exterior paint for an exposed house on the coast?

Thank you in advance

Reply to
Dave

Assuming you are referring to rendered walls, rake the cracks out so you are back to sound render then fill with a good quality external filler.

Probably, but if this refers to masonry paint it will say on the tin how to prepare previously painted masonry.

Yes, but you need the right roller, there are lots of different types. If you find that a roller doesn't work and you have to use a brush you may find that the area rolled and the area brushed look different.

Yes, that's what it's made for. Crown One-Coat gives an excellent finish.

If you are going to paint the rendered walls will that fix this problem?

If you mean masonry paint, it says two coats on the paint I have used.

Weathershield has a 15 year guarantee, if you can believe that. Generally speaking, steer clear of own-brand paint, it is false economy.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

Hi Phil.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will take on your guidance,

Dave

Reply to
Dave