Painting for a good finish

I'm just cursing foam "gloss paint" rollers after putting a coat of paint on the bottom of my boat.

The finish is glossy like an orange :( - sort of shiny, but with lots of little pits.

Is there a roller made that does a decent job? I've seen a suggesting to roll it on, then lay it off with a foam brush. Does that work?

I don't want to have to wet sand an entire boat too many times, and that two-pot paint is too expensive to use too many time.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

To get round this problem I use a roller, then go over the whole area very lightly and very quickly with a brush. You might ask why I don't use a brush to start with but this is much quicker. The brushing is done extremely quickly.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Mate of mine got the same result repainting his car in the very early 70s never seen anything like it again.

Reply to
Jane Black

A good number of years back and just up the road where I live there was a family who you don't want as neighbours who used to run a car business from their home (in the road). They worked on and sold end of life vehicles and one of their trademarks tricks was to repaint car panels with house paint and a roller. It was suspected that spare auxillary parts and trim often came from other peoples vesicles parked in the surrounding streets and driveways.

Reply to
alan_m

My view is that rollers *always* leave a finish like that. For a really smooth finish use a brush and rub down between coats.

Reply to
Chris Green

Foam rollers may have been the wrong rollers. Mohair would have been the correct rollers.

Mr Pounder Esquire

A Jenny Brush is your best friend when it comes to painting boats:

See

S.

Reply to
stephenten

From

at painting a boat.

page 13

? Small diameter felt and closed cell foam rollers are recommended for a better quality finish.

? In all cases use the crisscross technique to distribute the paint evenly.

? After applying by roller, laying off the paint with a brush or pad will give an improved finish.

page 90

Fish Eyes ? small holes in the paint film

? Appears during painting due to silicone or oil contamination on the surface.[1]

Abrade back until contaminated area can be degreased, allow to dry and recoat.

AND

Orange Peel ? surface mottled like orange skin

? Primarily occurs when spraying due to poor flow caused by poor atomisation, insufficient thinning, paint applied too thickly or over-coated too soon. Can also occur with some roller applications.

Abrade back to an even flat surface and re-coat.If using a roller, it may be necessary to lay off using a brush or pad after roller application.

[1] from page 9

Pre-Cleaning Hempel?s Pre-Clean is a high strength cleaner and degreaser for pre-cleaning gelcoat and painted surfaces in order to remove fuel, oil, grease, waxes and silicones. You should use this before painting, and for deep cleaning.

Reply to
alan_m

In the 70's, 'orange peel' finish was almost the standard output from most UK car factories :-).

the japanese soon showed us how to do it properly.

Reply to
Andrew

It's hempel paint on a boat...

This time Harris varnish sleeve. Much better!

I tried a brush on the next coat. It wasn't making it much better.

It'll need another; I'll try a pad. cvrda.org recommend a foam brush, but I couldn't find one.

None :)

Thanks Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris