UV Glue any good?

Has anyone tried that UV cure glue?

What's it like, any good?..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

It's not "glue" as such it's a liquid plastic resin that sets under UV light..

I have used it to reattach the lens caps on the LED backlight on a TV and to fix a broken nose piece on a pair of magnifieying glasses. Excellent for both of those uses, but how good it is for more mundane uses? I haven't tried :)

Reply to
Lee

Isn't that what dentists use for setting fillings and attaching crowns to teeth? If it's OK for that, then it should be pretty good for other uses, I would think.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes, and re-attaching rear view mirrors to windscreens. Though whether all these types of UV cured glue are the same, I don't know.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And, many years ago, re-attaching the catches to quarterlights.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Dentists, according to my dentist, now uses a blue light cure - not UV.

I think the UV ones have been phased out, largely due to the impact of UV on the dental staff.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

They were using blue light 30 years ago. In those days it was produced by filtering the light from a quartz halogen projector lamp before sending it down an optical fibre light pipe.

Nowadays I imagine blue LEDs would be the preferred light source.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Yes it has also been used successfully in space, outside apparently, so maybe it does not require air either. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

LEDs are, most certainly, the choice. Gets the exact wavelength required and can easily be run from a battery.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google