Lamona Oven

My daughter said her Howdens oven has packed up after 4 years. Apparenty the oven / grill selector switch had been very stiff - now it has failed.

I really don't feel inclined to get involved - 10 miles away - very small kitchen - Strip it to remove part - check elements - put oven back (no where else for it - await part - go back and fit it. Can I be arsed...?

Reply to
John

Well don't bother then:-)

How much is a new one?

Reply to
ARW

If she gives you all the details, you could get the obvious spare part, the selector switch. Then it's a single journey to fix the thing. If you order online, you can get a full refund if it turns out to be something else wrong.

If she buys a new oven, will she rope you in to fit it anyway?

Reply to
GB

Someone is going to end up in a shit retirement home when their daughter chooses one.

Reply to
ARW

Only 10 miles, blimey. Are you walking to her or what? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

10 miles away in London can mean an hour's drive. There can be a lot of BIWs.

A BIW is a bugger in the way. There's basically two types of traffic: buggers in the way and buggers chasing you.

Reply to
GB

There is no law saying you have to live in London.

Reply to
ARW

"Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

You win! She is going to remove it and bring it round! I hate working there - it is cramped - I don't have access to the tools I really needed and I would have to keep putting it back into its housing.

Reply to
John

I'd move out in a heartbeat, but my dearly beloved wife would not. I've always liked Yorkshire, actually.

Reply to
GB

Any city has BIWs - and some have BIWWTTOTRs (*). So Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Wakefield, York, Harrogate are as bad as London - just not as extensive.

Out in rural Yorkshire (and yes, our scenery is stunning) the problem is TIWs (tractors in the way). And there has been a dramatic increase in tractors that are not just used on and around a farm, but for pulling trailers for long distances (tens of miles) - a job that really should be done by a proper road-going lorry, capable of approaching the speed limit.

(*) Buggers in the way who think they own the road ;-)

Reply to
NY

Oh, you mean cyclists!

(grabs tin hat and runs for cover!)

:-)

Reply to
Chris Hogg

John snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote in news:XnsAAF4A9F9ECBB2trainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

Back to the oven! Apparently the fan would always run and they would switch it off at the mains after allowing it to cool.

Anyway I have ordered a new selector switch - it had suffered from burned contact and eventually had fallen apart.

Investigating the fan - I got it to stop by disconnecting a thermal switch in the top of the oven. Checked the device and is in Normally Closed. I think it is a thermal protection switch - the same as the one in the back of the oven. Assembly error?

However, on EBayI cannot find a fan thermostat for the Lamona LAM3401.Other models have a 70c cutout. The instructions make reference to the fan stopping when cooling is complete. (Apparently it never did)

Reply to
John

That makes me groan. Why, in heaven's name, did they not raise the issue when the oven was new? And, if they could live with it happily for 4 years, why are you bothering to improve the situation now?

Reply to
GB

Which one?

Reply to
ARW

GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote in news:qp7e7f$6ah$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

One of these is in series with the contols cooling fan.

I don't believe it to be a thermostat - surely it is a cut-out.

It is normally closed - cant be right.

John

That looks like an over heat protection device.

Reply to
ARW

ARW snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in news:1q%tF.21933$X82.19343 @fx16.am4:

I have bought one (for a different model) that claims to be a Cooling Fan Thermal cut out. (Normally Open when below 70c)

Reply to
John

A rather confusing name for a thermostatic switch to turn the fan on!

Reply to
Roger Hayter