Painting Copper Rad Pipes

I know you can get plastic pipe covers to slip over the tails between rad and floor but my previous experience of them was that they discoloured quite quickly ..Maybe modern ones don't do that - anyone know? OR Is there a type of paint that would do the job?

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

They are only cheap plastic so I suspect they are still prone to yellowing. You have 3 options in my opinion.

  1. Replace with new pipe covers.
  2. Paint the existing pipe covers - gloss white should take OK after cleaning.
  3. Paint the copper pipe with radiator paint or white gloss after cleaning and a suitable primer.
Reply to
DIY

be disregarded .

White gloss direct onto clean copper pipe. Do not use any primer or undercoat, these can cause yellowing.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Thx for the replies guys .I'll try the white paint direct ...as a stopgap ( perhaps) I tried the white insulation from some 10 ( or is it 12) mm microbore and fitted that ( I cut it lengthways to get it off the pipe) and fitted that to the 15mm .It almost fits ..just a slight gap round the back which I could fill or paint to make it less noticeable ..I'll see how that goes as well..

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 21:39:13 +0100, "Heliotrope Smith" had this to say:

Is there any particular reason for white?

Reply to
Frank Erskine

I used 'chrome' paint from B&Q - quite expensive for a small pot. Gives a finish close to brushed stainless steel. Seems pretty hard wearing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well the rads are white and the trims that sit at the floor/pipe junction are white so makes sense . I suppose I could paint them same colour as the skirting but I think I'd prefer white . What were you going to suggest?

-------------- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:16:18 +0100, Stuart B had this to say:

Well that's just what I was wondering. My skirtings aren't white (or magnolia:-) )

Their colours vary according to the room...

(It's just that you did specify white).

Thanks.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 23:07:10 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" had this to say:

That does sound interesting, for suitable locations. I suppose it could be a bit conspicuous if you're trying to disguise the pipes :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Mine are so beautifully formed I like to show them off. Pipes too. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I did this with ordinary gloos and the paint yellowed noticably in a few months (the radiator hasn't yellowed so it's rather obvious). Does special "radiator paint" yellow less quickly or is it a con?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL