door hanging

Hello,

I took off a door to move some furniture. Now that I have put the door back on, it won't shut completely, it is catching the frame by a millimetre. What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

Which side .Hinge side or t'other side .Top of the door or edge and is it catching all the way down or just at one bit ..

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

Maybe there was packing under the hinges? Any hinge sized bits of sandpaper or cardboard lying around? Either that or the hinge isn't sitting right in the rebate. Give them a tap with a hammer and see if the screws will tighten some more

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It is only catching on the side opposite the hinges.

How does packing the hinges work? Surely that would push the hinges out and thus the door out and make it catch more?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

Often used just on one side of the hinge, which changes the angle at which the leading edge of the door approaches the frame

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Take the door back off and check the hinge receivers in the frame for odd little bits of wood fibre raised by the screws. Clean the receivers out and rehang the door - making sure that the screws are done up tight.

If that fails to solve the problem, then there are two ways to resolve it:

1 Deepen the hinge receivers slightly - (best method if you don't want to damage the paintwork 2 Plane of the leading edge *ONLY* of the door (just enough to allow the door to miss the frame (My preferred [and easiest method] but it will damage the paintwork on the door

Another possibility (but unlikely) is that the edge of the latch receiver is just catching the door. If it is that, a gentle tap with a hammer will sort the problem.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

molley222 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Oh yes, it's the school holidays again... Roll on September.

Reply to
Tim S

Tim ....Trust me ..if it was only that simple !!!

-- Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded . Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail

Reply to
Stuart B

I don't think these need making deeper, they are already very deep already; much deeper than any of the other doors. It looks as though someone has ahd trouble with this door before ;(

I did wonder could I fill these in and start again? If I used a two part epoxy filler, would that take the screws second time round?

That's what I have done in the past, but like you say, that means having to repaint it and I don't like painting! BTW should you plane the whole side of the door, so that the edge remains plumb or do you just take a millimetre from here and there, where it catches the frame?

What's all this about pressing F7?

Thanks again.

Reply to
Fred

Presumably the door closed ok before you took it off, and must do again if you sort the hinge packing out. Leave the screws a *little* loose and see if the door will close with you applying pressure towards the hinge. If so, look at the hinge butt and you'll see where it wants to sit, and can pack out accordingly.

Reply to
Stuart Noble