Painting a floor

SWMBO has seen a floor finish she really likes, painted and distressed, she calls it French shabby chic.

Has anyone any suggestions for achieving this look. I was thinking along the lines of a coat or two of primer or emulsion, followed by a couple of coats of matt or satin varnish. Ideally a low odour and quick drying solution. Not looking at spending weeks on the project either! The floor is in a hallway, no children, two adults, light traffic.

Thanks

Reply to
johno

A few of the techniques I know:

Wire brushing to roughen the surface and bring up some of the grain. Thinning the paint right down so that you can see the wood grain through it, then clear varnish on top. Thinned paint brushed on and then wiped off with a rag so that it stays in the imperfections and nail holes only.

Don't know what your wife wants of course. Really it needs experimentation unless you are experienced enough to just do it straight off.

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

Finish she is after is one of a painted floor that has had some use, worn but not totally bare. My thoughts are along the lines you suggest, thinned paint and clear varnish to finish. No problem doing it straight off. Have done this on small items of furniture using similar methods, just wondered if anyone had experience of doing a floor and had any tips to pass on. Cheers

Reply to
johno

Paint the floor, and walk on it? Wouldn't take long to look shabby. I imagine that's how the French floors that your wife wants to emulate came to look the way they did.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Hmm,

She wants it to look a little shabby and stay that way, rather than get shabbier! But a good point well made ;-)

Reply to
johno