Painting a stairway. What's it worth? Pics included.

So this nice lady noticed that I have some skills she is inisisting that I paint her enclosed stairway. I can't say no to this woman since she has been so nice to me.

Her house is almost brand new and she has done most of the painting already herself . She just doesn't have the tools or confidence to do the stairway. You wil see that she made an attempt to paint it and gave up. I am fully equipped for painting but seriously I have never painted for anyone but myself.

The stairs are 12 feet long from bottom to top and rise 8 feet. One side has a cutaway for a oak railing. The other side is a plain wall with a plain railing and a light fixtuure. The height of the ceiling at the top of the stairs a standard eight feet.

The ceiling returns to the downstairs in four planes. She doesn't care about drips on the steps since they are cheap particle board which she plans to sand and then apply some kind of artistic treatment. There is no trim at the bottom to worry about just plain unfinished steps. There is a tiny amount of trim at the top where the upstairs room trim enters the hallway. It requires no paint.

It's doable but not such an easy job. It looks like I will have to have a special ladder to serve as a scaffold so that I can reach all of those ceiling planes to cut them all in. I don't have a ladder like that but any excuse to buy a new tool is good enough for me. I will add it to my vast selection of ladders.

How much would someone in your area charge for a job like that or how much would you charge? Any other advise or opinions from someone who has painted such a stairway?

I have the pics cause I know we all like pics. I could not successfully take a pic of the ceiling itself since it is just plain white but it is a continuous return in four seperate planes. Links:

Lawrence

Is it a manufactured home? I ask because the finished trim is installed before the first coats of paint.. Just get a ladder and stretchplank and paint the darn thing..Remove the railing and roll right thru that area.. If She's been nice do'nt charge Her too much,,just guesstimate and give Her a deal,,sounds like She earned it(being nice) and has a new house to pay for.. Dean

Reply to
Dean

Thanks for the reply. No, she contracted the home herself that's why. She hired Amish carpenters for the framing hence the ceiling return. She has some kind of artistic thing she wants to do rather than have regular trim so basically she plans to paint the steps herself with some kind of arsty fartsy pattern. I figure it's cheaper than trim.

Dennis that is a good idea. I can paint a lot of it with the step ladders and planks that I already have. I have a nice selection of step ladders and planks of every length.

The problem is cutting in that ceiling return, it's really up there. I'm not confident I will be able to reach it from a plank. The ceiling return may prevent access to the upper stairs but I am on this idea. I might make a dry run with the ladders and planks before I decide. Or, I realize now that I can just take vertical measurements to make the call.

Heck yes, she's been nice. She does sewing and repairs in town. When I have trouble with my zippers or have a shirt or jacket needing repair she takes care of me. When your zipper quits working it can just be the slider. She will just replace your slider for two dollars, no kidding. A complete zipper for a jacket is only seven dollars.

She is not exactly broke though since she has a new house and rental property besides and she is willing to pay and wants a number. I talked to my sister and she says it could be anywhere from $150 up to maybe $500 depending on where you live and if you like the person. It need to be primed and probably two finish coats. She will supply the paint. If I can do it without buying a new ladder then less. If I have to buy a new one then maybe more. thanks for the input.

Reply to
Lawrence

I would work hard at finishing the job as fast and as professionally as I could and charge her by the hour. $25/hr.

Reply to
DK

You need a 3-way ladder. They cost about $100. I could do the job in

2 hours per coat, but I am a journeyman. My price would be $340 if she supplied the paint

cheers D>> Is it a manufactured home? I ask because the finished trim is

Reply to
Don

Worst case, you custom build a platform that fits on the stairs, and set up a stepladder on that.

Reply to
Goedjn

If that's the worst case then I can probably manage with the stepladders I already have. I have been drooling over new ladder but like the idea of saving the money maybe spend it on beer, haha. Thanks for that idea.

Reply to
Lawrence

Well, I work too slow to charge her by the hour. I can do a good job but am not fast, just old. She has asked for a dollar quote and that seems to be what most people want. I don't like to look so much at my watch anyway. I know it's right there on my wrist but I try to ignore.

Reply to
Lawrence

Maybe I'm duped but I'll guess She gets a good deal if You decide to do it..Might want to tell Her to beware what paint She uses on the steps,,something non-slip like is used on floors maybe..You'd hate to lose a good "zipper-fixer". Maybe buy the zipper fixer some grippy slippers! Dean

Reply to
Dean

that is a 12 hr. paint job

6 hrs. for two days (have to allow for drying time) sanded, primed, painted 2 coats w/non-slip paint

what's 12 hrs. worth to you or you?

Reply to
Cabinets Galore

Hi dean, don't know what you mean by duped. I guess she gets a good deal if I take it because it is hard to hire a painter around here apparently.

I have not pressed her on her plans for the floor since she seems to know what she want but now that you mention it to me I will mention to her.

Reply to
Lawrence

Thanks for that estimate it sounds like a good one.

Reply to
Lawrence