painting MDF radiator covers - spray them?

SWMBO has decreed that we will have a radiator cover on the rad in the hallway (I know, I know).
Anyway, due to the annoying size the ones that are available ready finished in white satin aren't going to be any good (short of a custom order one for over 100 quid!) so I'm looking at painting it myself.
Given the ones that fit are basically an mdf frame with a bit of mdf mesh in ( http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?idp748&ts6854 sort of thing) a roller isn't gonna work well and I'm not fancying the idea of a painting the thing with a brush...hence spraying sounds appealing.
We want the thing finished in white satin - skirting etc is done with the dulux waterbased realife stuff so that would be ideal but I've no idea if it can be sprayed or what sort of sprayer I'm looking for.
Any advice? A quick look around B&Q suggests electric sprayers from 20 quid up. Screwfix list a 60 quid one as being able to spray emulsion which sounds more like the thing. Any ideas? ( and no, she doesn't like the mdf look despite my efforts to convince her ;-))
Darren
On Sun, 25 Feb 07 21:04:13 GMT, dmc wrote:

My advice would be a fair division of labour. Your job would be to make/buy/install the radiator cover, her job would be the arty stuff which means painting it. 2 benefits: first of all, the problem has become someone-else's (in management terms, we call this a "solution" :-). Secondly, once she's had to paint all the nooks and crannies, it's very unlikely she'll decide that you need another one anywhere else.
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

Excellent. I think that she should go and buy said item as well. That should at least delay it for a bit.

So you wouldn't mention the spray gun to her then?

Actually it could be a reason to buy a compressor (of course it comes bundled with a full set of air tools and nailers) and a spray gun.
Peter Lynch wrote:

Pete - you are a genius!
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On 2007-02-25 23:13:54 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"

I think we should have a poll on this as to whether any contributor to the group actually likes the idea of radiator covers.
For those who don't, reasons why.
I'll kick it off:
- I think that they are in the same ilik of (lack of) taste as phone cosies.
- They are dirt traps
- They reduce radiator outputs by up to 30%.
I can't think of any benefits.
Andy Hall wrote:

They reduce scalding risk when used near vulnerable people, and they can be used to make a really ugly radiator just ugly instead ;-)
Can't say I am a fan of them... although I like radiator shelves.
--
Cheers,

John.

said:

I think they are just horrible looking. Every time we pass one in B&Q my wife continually looks at the price and says "It is great value, I think we'll just buy it" The words "No way" just do the trick and we move on.
Steven.
Andy Hall wrote:

<SNIP>
I still can't work this one out. Where does the heat go?
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:17:56 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

It doesn't, hence the heat output is reduced by 30%. Think of what would happen if you wrapped the radiator in insulation.
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:17:56 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

Straight back to the boiler, as hot (or less cool) water!
--
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:17:56 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"

The radiator releases heat into the room by radiation and more so by convection. The SWMBO fashion accessory impedes both, reducing output and the return temperture will be higher than without the uglybox.
--

.andy

Not so. More by convection.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

You seem to be arguing with yourself... then repeating what Andy said.
--
Cheers,

John.

Much more by convection.
Doctor Drivel wrote:

So which part of "by radiation and more so by convection" do you find so cryptic that you feel the need to add your own interpretation?
Out of curiosity, do you know what the approximate percentage split between heat losses from a rad by radiation and convection are?
--
Cheers,

John.

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:19:50 -0000, "Doctor Drivel"

Did you want the 5 minute argument or the full half-hour?
--

.andy

Andy Hall wrote:

Just what does he not understand?
Any radiator cover will slow down convection and radiation.
Went down to our son's, new to him, house last Tuesday and very nearly burnt my hand on a radiator. Am I right in saying that the lower you run the boiler temp, the more efficient the system is?
Dave
Dave wrote:

do you want te simpoel answer 'everything' or teh exahaustive list..which would be a lifetimes work.
Things I Do Not Understand, By Dr Drivel.