Painting fiberglass exterior door

I have just order a 6 panel fiberglass exterior door. It will not get alot of sun as the entrance is mostly covered. I searched google but didn't find too much opinions about painting a newly purchased door.

I believe it will come in a white primer ready to paint. I would like to know what is the best way (brush or spray) and paint to use. Thanks

Reply to
jeremy_ho

clean with tsp. rinse it off well with water. use 100% acrylic(sp) gloss or semi gloss with a small sponge roller and a brush for around the panels. paint it on a hot day. i did mine 2 years ago and it came out perfect and still holding well. my neighbour on the other hand has a pal who paints cars. he brought his door over and had the guy spray it. same finish as on a car.

Reply to
robson

Reply to
Raid

I brush the whole thing [people don't usually break out a sprayer for one door]. What I do is paint the panels first - well, after painting any edges that wrap around. I keep a wet rag handy so I can wipe the edges. Then I do the stiles and rails, following the grain like on a wood door.

oh yeah, that's the best idea ever.

Anyway, I don't like seeing roller texture on a paneled door, especially at the front entrance. just doesn't look as good as it could. And unless your a big fan of the glossy look, I'd suggest using a satin finish latex. Be sure to get some latex paint additive - it'll slow the dry time enough that you'll appreciate it.

Also, if you're considering a red color, avoid anything that is an ultra deep base [unless you want to do 3+ coats]. I know Porter and Sherwin-Williams [and others, I'm sure] have a red base. I've used it a few times and it's 1 or 2 coats, max. Since you're going over white I would count on 2 coats.

Do as much as you can before the install.

Reply to
Hopkins

I did my front doors in fiberglass, it was wood grained and you have to use Gel Stain. if you want a wood look. . It was pretty tricky, but no one believed they were fiberglass.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave