paint rollers

Hello,

I bought some nine inch paint rollers from B&Q before I learned of their cheaper sister company, Screwfix. I have now bought some roller sleeves from Screwfix but it seems they do not fit the roller frames from B&Q, even though they are all from the same manufacturer! It seems that the B&Q (DIY?) versions are one and a half inches in diameter, whereas the Screwfix (trade?) versions are one and three quarter inches in diameter. Why is that? I am thinking of binning the smaller frames.

Thanks.

Reply to
Stephen

Hi

Never bought rollers from B&Q / Screwfix. I usually buy them from Wilkinsons - think about £3 gets you a tray, roller frame and roller. I find the rollers from here very good and at that price disposable. Use, then bin.

By the way, Screwfix is not always cheaper than B&Q!

Reply to
Slider

Simple, two sizes of roller. Sheds generally sell the smaller, S/F and trade outlets sell the larger diameter ones. S/F also sell the smaller ones, if you take them back, they will exchange.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Are you disposing everything or just the roller sleeve? If I roll gloss I always bin the sleeve because I think it would use far too much white spirit to clean the roller (of course I only use small rollers with gloss; not nine inch ones). With emulsions, I usually manage to rinse everything off and reuse.

Reply to
Stephen

That's what I thought but why? There's only a quarter of an inch difference in diameter. I appreciate that means 3/4s of an inch more circumference but does that make any real difference? Why do manufacturers bother? Why not just make one universal size?

Reply to
Stephen

They state a 20% increase in coverage, but I have not checked the figures.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Have a Google for Dandy paint brush and roller cleaner.

Amazingly enough, they do work.

And it provides an excuse to hang on to that thirty year old B&D drill that you can't quite bring yourself to throw out although you never actually use it any more.

Reply to
mike