OVO Smart meter

You're not at the BBC now ;-) MET ? DNO ? MO ?

So, when did that change, seeing they appear to be stamped with, 'Property of ' ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

If there is no signal they just attach a transmitting aerial on a 30ft pole to the side of the house.

Reply to
alan_m

I was under the impression the difficulty in changing was that the company you may want to switch to wouldn't accept you as a customer under any circumstances because of incompatible smart meters. They don't necessarily want the hassle or expense of changing a meter for someone who may have a 12 contract before changing supplier again.

Reply to
alan_m

Surely they could just treat you as a dumb-meter customer, submit your own readings or they send the meter reader chap round, the gas meter probably needs a battery fitting every 10 years, the electricity one shouldn't.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I've had it suggested that I change to a smart meter a few times now but it isn't going to happen until they can provide a meter that every supplier can work with. Until then, any swap will have to be for a mechanical meter, something you can insist on.

I don't know as I have not had it installed yet: that is why I was asking the question "Does anyone have such, and any comments on it?"

Reply to
Bill Stewart

If you changed supplier and they did not want to interface with the meter, then there would be no reason why you could not just read it and give the supplier the meter readings. I doubt if the company could just refuse to accept you as a customer because the meter was not one they supported. I, and I suspect most people, could not give shit whether I/they have a smart meter or not: I just thought it would be worth having to see what it was like.

Reply to
Bill Stewart

I am unsure why anyone would want to insist on such; unless they were just being bloody minded.

Reply to
Bill Stewart

Seconded, the one EoN fitted yesterday is just for remote metering. For the punter, much the same as the Cuurent Cost box they sent previously otherwise except that is does the gas reading as well (& no local port for external interfacing either).

It uses an O2 GPRS connection & does display the actual charge rate in real time.

Chris K

Reply to
ChrisK

Perhaps because I regularly change supplier and having a meter that isn't compatible across all would most likely lead to a whole lot of issues? I've already been given three dates for when the current meter was originally installed.

You may wish to find out a little more before you allow your installation to go ahead. It's not as simple as gaining a shiny new meter that you can connect to.

So what is your explanation as to why smart meters are linked to one particular supplier?

Reply to
Michael Chare

Just suppose company X said use our meter .... and then you found that the company X were the most expensive option and then you found that you couldn 't change suppliers because of yuor special box that only your supplier X c an use.

The pnly way of changing supplier would be to have yuor meter changed which you have to pay for, and return the old meter. Hopefully they won;t be any small print requireing you to pay a termination fee as 'their' engineer an d ONLY their engineer could disconnect you.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In message , at 12:15:28 on Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Michael Chare remarked:

Because what they send over the network differs, one from another.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I doubt if any electricity company is fitting meters which will not provide basic meter reading capability which would be accepted by all other suppliers.

Do you have any evidence that this is the case?

I accept that you may get a Smart Meter - which a new supplier would not be able to use as a Smart Meter: but I see no reason why it could not be used in the conventional way.

Reply to
Bill Stewart

Another problem with some existing ones is they're losing connection, as the mobile networks shut down 2G GPRS. (I suspect all new ones would support 3G at least nowadays.)

That's also hit some alarms and remote payment stations (such as parking meters which are meant to take credit cards).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I haven't been at the BBC for 23 years...

But you're in uk.d-i-y, they are used fairly often in here.. B-p

MET - Main Earth Terminal that is the supply earth provided by the DNO - Distribution Network Operator. The company that does the wires, poles and holes power distribution in a given area from, I think, 125 kV (kilo Volts) down. Stuff above 125 kV(?) is National Grid. MO - Meter Operator, I might have invented this one. But the company that you pay for your electricity as metered by "their" meter.

Donno. I don't think is was the same time as the individual electricity boards monopolies in a given area were broken. If most DNOs are like ours, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" there will be a lot of legacy stuff out there. We've been here 15 years, I don't remember any of the meters being changed, as they should be every 10 years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

+1

something

Or presumably a dumb electronic one. Have you a reference for your statement that one can insist on a dumb meter?

'Cause I don't want to have to jump through hoops or be refused by a supplier simply beacuse a "smart" meter was foisted upon me.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So why do the comparison sites ask if you have a smart meter and have help boxes saying that some supliers can't use the some smart meters from some other suppliers.

If it didn't matter ther would be no need to ask.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We've been in this house 10 years, the leccy meter has a sticker saying 'Property of Eastern Electricty Board 1985' and a luggage type label saying it was changed 18/6/85.

It was supposed to be changed a year or 2 ago, but for one reason and another it didn't happen in the end.

Reply to
Chris French

The rather nice enamel badge beside my meter says 'Property of Battersea Borough Council' ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)