OT: You couldnt't make it up.

"Population density" can be estimated in various ways. You might find this of interest:

Jeff Layman

Jeff Layman snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote

Sure but that isn't really the issue with gas reserves.

Reply to
John Brown

Like the Docklands Light Railway, you mean?

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's exactly what it does.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The Yanks do this on suburban lines out of New York. The rail is about two feet above ground, suspended from short posts which go up and over. There is a cover which extends the length of the section. Advantages of this are that it stays dry and collects no snow on the running surface.

I did wonder about whether it would be feasible to rejig SR for that, but you'd have to have many years of having both systems co-exist, and whether that's possible I don't know.

The years of overlapped running would be required whatever you replaced third rail with. To my mind, third rail works just fine and looks neater, as I feel whenever I see any line with overhead collection.

There was footage I saw shot in India. A train with overhead collection was stopped, with the usual crowds hanging off it and on the roof. This chap on the roof lost his balance a bit, and grabbed the overhead wire to stabilise himself, and duly collected his 25kV prize. Complete with sparks.

Tunnels are something else, though.

This sort of question comes up regularly, a typical one being "Why can't we run continental trains here?"

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes, UK is 717/sq.mi compared to 603 for Germany and 305 for France. England alone, OTOH, is 1119.

AISB, too many people. We're at 65 million, up from 50 million when I was a child.

Reply to
Tim Streater

65 million legally registered inhabitants. probably 80 million in all
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think it's fully covered (from above).

Reply to
Roland Perry

I do believe that the designer of the Comet was the same one as took the Mosquito from an idea to a flying aircraft in just eighteen months. His reputation in de Havilland was considerable.

Using the technology with which he was familiar - resorcinol-formaldehyde resins - he wanted the windows fixed in place using this system. Unfortunately, wood-to-wood bonding was a very different kettle of fish to metal-to-metal bonding, and r-f proved unsuitable. With the pressure for success derived from the Mosquito programme, and the fact that the US were thought to be close behind in the development of a pressurised jet airliner, the order was given to use tried-and-tested rivets for the windows.

G-ALYP actually became unstitched at an aerial hatch on the top of the fuselage. The pressure drop drew debris from the cabin interior - a piece of carpet was found impacted on the empennage, along with coin damage - and the tail section failed first.

Reply to
Spike

[Snip]

One day, when commuting into Waterllo, I noticed we were in a tunnel.. We were on that line due to problsms between Wimbledon & Clapham Junction.

Reply to
charles

They aren't in Milford Haven

Andrew

And if we had eked it out and kept those union-controlled coal-fired power stations running, both fuels would have fallen foul of ed Milibands 2008 climate change act anyway.

Reply to
Andrew

Oddly, was talking about this to my brother. He often takes his caravan to a site close to his eldest who lives in Leighton Buzzard. With the main line just across the road from the campsite. It's electrified, but he said there are often diesel freight trains outside peak times. Pulling hard up a gradient so rather noisy.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Near enough.

(scroll down a bit)

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk>, at 14:26:20 on Sat, 16 Oct

2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> remarked:

That'll be because their route isn't electrified the whole[1] way, and swapping locos en-route is very very very unusual.

[1] Sometimes the gap is just the last mile at the beginning or end. There's even a new loco been designed to combat that:

Note that the power off the wires is 1/6 of that under the wires.

Reply to
Roland Perry

The Express is always running exaggerated stories about bad weather.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

For some reason I get lots of Express stories on my FB page. Often about their media coverage. And I see why it's a paper I never did buy or want to now. It seems to spend all its time writing for those easily enraged. Seems their readership is desperate to read bad reports about Harry and Megan.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Where suburban trains run on the same lines as Underground trains, they bond the centre rail to the running rails and supply something like 690V to the side rail as the best compromise between 630V (Underground) and

750V (suburban).
Reply to
Max Demian

Tim Streater snipped-for-privacy@greenbee.net wrote

Just as true of the more populous parts of germany.

But there is nothing unique about the population when you were a child.

Reply to
John Brown

You're right. Even then we were overcrowded. Around 30 million would be doable.

Reply to
Tim Streater