OT. You couldn't make it up !

don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending the next 3 weeks in Spain - so will miss all the hoo ha - and doubtless some getting heated about this post. Back in mid - June.

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

> I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending

Just in time to watch England vs Ukraine:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

""If the women had been leather-clad bikers or youths you would expect to call the police.""

Fuck the poisonous old bitch - hope her tearoom burns to the ground.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

>>> I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending

No- We'll see France in a bar in Spain the day before we return to the UK

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

> I don't even get the extra bank holiday. I'm retired - and spending the

I would object most strongly to having to stand for the Liechtenstein National Anthem (or the US "America" (aka "My Country 'Tis of Thee") either!).

Paul DS

Reply to
Paul D Smith

Free publicity for a mediocre tea shop. Nothing to see here, move along please.

Apparently in '40s and '50s there was a frantic scramble to get out of cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

Reply to
Onetap

at the end of the show, before the national anthem started. A few people did that. Not many. Mostly bolshies.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

I always thought that they were just trying to make sure that they could catch the last bus home.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

I'd love to be able to do what my dad does in that on hearing the anthem stands and lets out a loud rumbling FART . Now that's class :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

And well into the late 60s, as I recall.

Aye, but you're an old reactionary.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

'America' is not the US national anthem.

Reply to
S Viemeister

cinemas at the end of the show, before the national anthem started.

who stands at attention during the Queen's speech, even when he plays back his recording of it.

Reply to
Martin

but it had nothing to do with the anthem.. its the same reason people leave football matches early.. the infrastructure can't cope and you end up in big queues.

Reply to
dennis

That was still the case in the 70s and 80s...

A minority of the audience stayed and stood.

Reply to
John Williamson

Reminds me of Alf Garnett.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I was in the RAF training in the 50s, the cinema (as all RAF stations was the Astra) as the film can towards the end there was a rush to the exits, obviously many did not wish to stand for the Queen. I never do now, though I had to while in the RAF.

Reply to
Moonraker

"I like to be in America OK by me in America Everything free in America (For a small fee in America)"

-- Halmyre

Reply to
Halmyre

Cathy I'm lost I said though I knew she was sleeping...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Before my time. I believe you.

Reply to
Onetap

So wait and kiss the gf until the queues have gone.

The last time I left the cinema early was when I knew the fire alarm was going to go off. I did not want to be stuck behind the queue of a 10 screen multiplex emptying at the same time.

Reply to
ARWadsworth