OT: wireless relay for medium-HiFi stereo

A friend of mine plays in a couple of pub bands, and I'm making some you-tube type videos for him from live performances. I've been taking audio from the line out of his mixing desk and recording it on a small Tascam recorder (I've had to make up a little attenuator to match the levels, but otherwise no problem).
But it would be easier if I had the recorder at my filming position, and it is not usually practicable to run wires across a pub.
I thought it would be easy to find a reasonably priced audio streaming system. Don't need much range so Bluetooth should be OK, although I recognise that WiFi might be better. Ideally a battery powered transmitter that will take two channels at "line" levels, and a similar battery receiver. Latency shouldn't be a big issue as I need to synch the audio and video anyway. I don't want to pay "professional" kit prices, I suppose I might go up to £100, but given that the Tascam DR05 was under £100, I can't help thinking I should be able to do it cheaper.
I've been Googling but so far am struggling to find something which looks quite right.
Comments, suggestions, recommendations most welcome.
On 21/04/2018 14:11, newshound wrote:

Doesn't have to be digital, of course: could be UHF as used for older wireless mikes.

If you're filming stuff, a decent radio mic will always find uses. A TX pack one that can also take line level?
--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

No idea if it's suitable, but Amazon seem to have D-Link DCH-M225 Wi-Fi Audio Extender for under 17 quid. Not sure it is stereo.
I would have suggested a radio mic as well. I have a 2 channel AKG setup here that I used to use with guitar and mic. I'm probably never going to use it again and don't know whether the frequency it uses is legal since all the recent changes.
--
Bill

Think the ones which were 'licence free' still are OK.
--
*Your kid may be an honours student, but you're still an idiot.

On 21/04/2018 14:55, Bill wrote:

OK that might be a suitable transmitter, but what about a receiver.

Radio mikes all seem to be mono, so I'd need two transmitters. Also, it goes a bit against the grain to have to attenuate a line output down to microphone voltages.

Are you really getting meaningful stereo out of a stage mixer? If so, I'd ask why they'd bother. ;-)
The radio mics I used to use accepted a line input in a rather more sophisticated way than just attenuating the mic input. But I've no knowledge of the budget end of the market.
--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.

I'd have said it was pretty normal. They use an amplifier/speaker stack each side of the stage with vocals centred and guitar and bass biassed towards the physical location. When they play with a drummer he normally sits in the middle, unamplified.

OK. To me, it would be more important to get a half decent balance anywhere in the hall than to play with stereo.
--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:11:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

Wireless headphones? Tx should be OK, though may have trouble finding a battery powered one but a pack of the right voltage and suitable lead/connector sorts that. The Rx really nneds to be a stand alone box with headphone socket rather than built into a set of headphones. Bit of ashot in the dark buying a set built in with the idea of extracting the electronics and fitting into another box.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 21/04/2018 17:54, Dave Liquorice wrote:

That's a *really* good thought. My wife bought me a cheap one years ago thinking it was the sort of gadget that I'd like, but in fact it became superseded by iPods and smartphones. The transmitter turns out to be a battery one and to have RCA inputs as well as 3.5 mm.
Turns out to be operating on the 100 MHz band and to have a "Radio" option. ATM I can get radio stations but can't persuade the phones to listen to the transmitter (still worth playing with).
I suspect that VHF ones may pick up too much interference around the power amps.
On Saturday, 21 April 2018 14:11:16 UTC+1, newshound wrote:

R05

per.

I'd not like trusting a wireless approach, so I'd want a backup recording a t the desk, which means hardware that can record unattended.
NT

Not important enough to need a backup. And the point is, with the recorder in front of me I can watch the signal meters, and/or monitor via headphones. Also check that I'm not running out of battery or memory.
On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 14:11:12 +0100, newshound wrote:

Something like this?
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)>
Two should work together, one sending and the other receiving.
I have one for trying to link the caravan TV to the bluetooth speakers. Not got that running yet (first one had a firmware issue so supplier replaced it and left me the old one) but I did test the partly functional one and that worked fine as a receiver plumbed into a DAC port on the amplifier. Transmitting from an Android tablet.
Battery powered, charged via micro USB, so a Power Bank could give extended life.
Cheers
Dave R

On 22/04/2018 09:26, David wrote:

Thanks! I knew there ought to be something out there. Actually ordered a pair of these instead:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
£3 cheaper by sacrificing the optical.