OT Windows 7 and Email Client

This is a bit OT but I know that there are people here with experience of PCs and usually very helpful.
My old XP PC is starting to play up and I'm planning on replacing it in the next few weeks. Currently looking at machines from the Chillblast range as they seem to get consistently good reports. A couple of areas where I'd appreciate and views and/or recommendations:
Version of W7. Most of the systems I'm looking at come with Windows Home Premium, but with a cost option to have Windows Professional. Win Prof has XP compatibility, which I might/will need for some older programs I use which aren't (and may never be) compatible with W7. There doesn't seem to be any other advantage to me for Win Prof, but someone may think differently?
Mail client. I currently use Outlook Express, which isn't available on W7, so I need an alternative. Outlook is a possible alternative but has many features I'll never use (and will cost). Windows Live mail may do the job but I played with early versions and wasn't impressed with it's reliability - it may be ok now.
Mandatory requirements are: support POP/SMTP and IMAP from multiple email providers; allow two or more email accounts for different users of PC with privacy; allow downloaded email to be left on the providers server (where supported eg Hotmail), allow at least basic filtering to direct incoming mail to different folder, support dlists or address groups.
Desire able: allow import of old emails from OE (the wife and I have quite a lot of emails that we need to retain and have access to; allow import of addresses from OE address book.
Any advice gratefully received (but I'm not going the Unix route, so please don't waste your time suggesting this option, though I know that some prefer it!).
DavidM wrote:

just use teh full mozilla suite of firefox and thunderbird on any platform you care to install.
And you know already but have rejected what the best one would be..
I swapped last year from XP to Windows 7 and had to go down the Pro root to run some programmes. It is a bit of a pain with printers and devices as it runs in the Windows virtual machine but it does work after some effort. I use Windows Live and imported my O.E. mails and stuff without a problem.
Peter
On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:13:58 +0100, DavidM wrote:

Given what you have said, my advice would be get a powerful PC, install *nix, install VMBox. Install XP to a virtual machine, and just run the virtual machine.
On 01/06/2012 12:47, Jethro_uk wrote:

or just install XP on the new machine and cut out the middle man?
(seems to be adding complexity for no gain in functionality)
--
Cheers,

John.

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 22:58:25 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

It's much quicker to roll back a virtual machine than it is revert to a saved image. And if you intend using XP as your main OS, you should be prepared to revert to original install every 3 months or so.

I never ever had to do that at all and used it much more intensively than you do.
On 03/06/2012 14:48, Jethro_uk wrote:

I was searching for a suitable response to that, but the only thing that comes to mind is bollocks!
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

You are right: its something like 6 weeks

err... why?
I too have no master disc. Had one been supplied with the m/c it would not have service pack 2 or 3.
regards
--
Tim Lamb

On 04/06/2012 09:18, Tim Lamb wrote:

The solution to that is to make a "slipstreamed"[1] disc which rolls up all the updates onto an install image. Saves hours of patching should you ever need to do a fresh install. (which I had to do for the second time in about 11 years on one of my machines recently... pah, all these people who can't keep it up for more than a few weeks at a time eh ;-)
[1] nlite is a very handy package for this - point it at a folder with the install CD content in it, and another with the required service packs etc and it will create the new slipstreamed CD for you in one hit.
--
Cheers,

John.

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 23:11:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher

Total tripe.
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Best description of windows XP yet.
keep em coming.
On 01/06/2012 12:13, DavidM wrote:

I've got a dual boot (Win7/XP) machine, mainly because my scanner doesn't have Win7 drivers. My overall impression after 6 months or so is that Win7 is bloody awful, and what they've done to Office 2007 is worse still. I thought I'd get used to it all but I haven't

I'm happy enough with Win7 after XP - but then I don't use OE or IE or MS Office.
--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

I actually prefer it myself. Quite a bit of stuff like bluetooth to the phone etc is much better done and the toolbar in spades.

I do with all of those and much prefer Win7.
Office is trivially fixed by running 2003 instead of 2007, works fine on Win7.

I feel the exact opposite, much prefer Win7. It does have a few quirks, being much more secure with file sharing between multiple machines, but that's about it and that's easy enough to fix.

Office 2003 runs fine on Win7 and has the traditional UI.
DavidM wrote:

Thunderbird.
--
Tim Watts

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:13:58 +0100, DavidM

The "XP Mode" is just a virtual machine session albeit with a little more intergration into the host W7 OS. And you don't pay extra for the XP licence. To be honest I wouldn't bother just for an OE6 replacement, Live Mail IS crap but there is always Thunderbird, I use that for mail but prefer Agent for groups.
--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

What's up with it?, if its all failing then you could get a younger one and re install XP which is a decent programme:)..

I've used WIN 7 Pro and all in its quite good. There are a few things what you might want to customise or turn off, but you can get it looking a bit like XP if required;)..

All in Thunderbird is good and free..

Yes does all of those.. You can of course download it on your present machine and run it and see what you think.

Well it does too work fine but if thats your view then fine too;)..
--
Tony Sayer