OT: why do socks have seams?

Why do socks have seams, which always end up under your toes to annoy you? Can't we in the 21st century make socks with one piece of material?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Buy a better brand - my socks appear to have no seams.

Reply to
alan_m

I don't believe you, I can find no evidence of such a product. Post a link or an image.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So you admit it's possible?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No seam would be better.

Cite.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The stitch for making seamless socks is called the Kitchener Stitch, after Lord Kitchener. He prompted the invention of a seamless sock, to avoid chafing the feet of soldiers in the wet conditions of the WW1 trenches. They have been around a long time.

Reply to
nightjar

This

claims:

Seamless Toe Closure

Seamless Toe Closure for an anti-friction finish your feet will love.

and whilst I don't have that particular pair of theirs I do have others which are very comfortable and I don't get discomfort under my toes or soles from seams.

Mind you, I think it matters how you define a seam. If you look at the linked page and hover over the picture of the toe of the sock there are definitely places where two webs meet and get meshed together.

Falke (German company) use a similar method of construction but don't claim to be seamless and I've had good results from their socks.

Both Falke and Stance have some socks that are claimed to be formed ergonomically (one sock for the left foot and one for the right).

Good luck.

Reply to
Graham Harrison

Then why are they not available in the UK?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I did my own search and only found socks with less harsh seams. Searches aren't always perfect, they're done using computers.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, from the image I can see seams. Although they may not be noticeable to your feet, it seems strange to me that it's so difficult to just have no seam at all.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or, you could get somebody who knows the Kitchener stitch to knit them for you, just as thousands of women did for the WW1 Tommies.

Reply to
nightjar

I wear

alan_m

The easy answer for him is to wear panty hose.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm still surprised they're not all like that. Is it very expensive to make?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Or go barefoot like we were designed to.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is this your fetish?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They should all be like that.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Well I'm sure 3D weaving is indeed possible, but its often easier to use stretchy material and use seams for more efficient use of readily available stock. Personally when they start to get thin or deformed its time for a new pair.

I guess you could make them of plastic in some way, but then it would be a little uncomfortable if your foot sweated, bit like a dry suit for your feet. Notice I avoided rubber here, or pvc cos I know what you lot are like. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

But often do have, but they are neater and narrower. also who invented the self rotating sock where after a few hours the heal ends up on top of your foot? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

The latter would be a nightmare to figure out without sight.

Actually its not seams going under the toes that is the issue for me its when they position themselves over your one knobbly toe knuckle, and rub it raw before you realise it. Same goes for the one up the back of the heal. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa