Playing digital audio through a 1990s amplifier

I've got an early 1990s hifi setup with tuner, CD, tape deck and amplifier that I would like to use to play my digital music collection. The amp has a spare aux input with RCA connectors.

I think I either need something with a USB input that has a decent display and controls to navigate through the folder structure or a bluetooth/wireless solution that I can control from my phone.

Has anyone done something similar, and did it work out well?

Reply to
Caecilius

You sound like the target market for that device (Brennan?) that used to appear in Private Eye small ads? I think it's an rPi in a box ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is (and I have one), but it's designed to help someoene with a CD collection. If the music is already digitised, then all you need is an D to A converter.

Reply to
charles

An old laptop, headphone output connected to Aux. If the sound quality is bad, use an external USB DAC.

You can install software on it that can be controlled remotely, or just use YouTube, Spotify, Deezer etc....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I don't think something with a headphone output would provide an acceptable audio quality. I think something with line level output would be better.

I've got all my audio on a NAS ripped from my CD collection plus downloads of albums I used to own on vinyl. I don't use streaming services like spotify etc.

Reply to
Caecilius

Is it this device?

That looks promising in some respects, but it does much more than I need (it can play&rip CDs and includes an amplifier) and is more expensive than I'd like at $679 for the only model in stock (I'm hoping for £100 - £200 range), but it does look like the kind of thing I'm after.

Reply to
Caecilius

That's right - I already have all my music digitised. What I think I need is something that combines a D to A converter, a pre-amp to provide the correct level and output impedence for an aux input, inputs from USB or maybe Bluetooth/wifi, and a decent UI (maybe on my phone) to control it.

Reply to
Caecilius

Hence a USB external DAC. They have line level outputs.

You can get them on eBay for around £30.

Plenty of "media player" applications, some that have remote control ability via web browsers and smartphones.

VLC isn't a bad choice as well.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I connect my 'puter to the HiFi with this:-

- currently priced at £15.50 on Amazon.

It has no display or controls, it's just a connection; all music selection or manipulation of the signal is done on the 'puter.

To get phone access to the HiFi I run AirServer on my 'puter and point my phone at that:-

- currently priced at £14.99 with a 30 day free trial.

It works very well for me, I use it every day.

Reply to
Sn!pe

If the music is already digitised, then all you need is an D

But that doesn't have a user interface to act as a standalone "box"

Reply to
Andy Burns

In what form is your digitised music? I built a simple Pi thing to take my 'on disc' music and push it out to a pair of phono plugs. Does internet radio as well.

Raspberry Pi Zero W with a hifi Berry DAC 'hat' on it, and some code...control it via a web browser.

Its a bit more complex than a non computer person could manage unaided tho

Happy to share the code tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

a computer with a sound card or interface will do the job

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I use the HiFi tape recorder in/out to connect the Behringer DAC I mentioned in Message-ID: <1pl5lrc.jvy4jc523q6N% snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com in this thread. The Behringer uses line level, just like a tape recorder.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Can you hack a bit of code?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In 2015, Techmoan wittered about something expensive by Sony

Sony HAP S1 REVIEW - Using A Hi-Res Audio player to resurrect my ripped CDs (Part 2)

Or a Raspberry Pi plus some screen attachment,

Or Apple / Amazon / Google streaming devices & their apps,

I used to be keen on the Slimdevices Squeezebox, until Logitech bought the company and lost interest and gave away the lucrative high end market to Sonos.

Yeah, Sonos, Deep pockets stuff to play tatty MP3s, and better ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Thanks. A search for "USB external DAC" gives some useful hits which are getting close to the sort of thing I'm looking for. I use an audioquest dragonfly for my headphones and would be happy if I could get a similar quality level for amp input.

I'd be really happy if I could get something with decent quality for £30. I'd expected £100 - £200 range to get anything decent.

Reply to
Caecilius

What is your digital music collection stored on? Surely that has the ability to play them, so all you need is a digital to analogue converter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Most is FLAC but I convert to MP3 or AAC for listening.

This is why I post to this group. I didn't even know these things existed. HiFiBerry DAC2 Pro + one of my spare Raspberry PIs looks like a possible solution.

I'm fine with that side of things thanks. If possible I'd like to integrate it into my home assistant setup.

Thanks for the offer. I might take you up on it if I struggle.

Reply to
Caecilius

Some internet radios can do what you want as a side effect as can docking stations for iPhones etc. It really depends on how high a quality audio signal you want to get out. You can easily spend silly amount of money to get a tiny (or even no) perceptible improvement.

This might do what you want:

Allowing bluetooth pairing to stream for any other kit you might have that can act as a player for the digital media content. No idea if it is any good or not. I have a similar USB powered DAC for my TV to hifi .

Reply to
Martin Brown

TVs these days usually only have a digital (toslink) audio output - to feed an external sound system. Converters to provide phono outputs start at under 10 quid including power supply.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News