OT - which internet browser?

Yes. I've tried it a couple of times and it does do some dubious things and takes a bit of hacking out. Comodo does a version without some of the nasty bits, but it's still in the early stages. I did see a 'sanitised' version somewhere; there is a portable version.

Ah, got the wibble:

PeterC

Thanks Adrian. Sorted. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

I use opera 95% of the time, ff 5 and at work its useless IE. opera because of personal bar can right click and search whatever I've installed before, eg screwfix

Reply to
misterroy

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 19:46:14 +0000, Andy Burns gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Y'know ............... you could be right :-)

I will try again ... thanx

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

Rather than delete the bookmarks, you can try updating them to

Andy Burns

On Sat, 06 Mar 2010 20:23:20 +0000, Andy Burns gently dipped his quill in the best Quink that money could buy:

Ok .. done that now

Mike P the 1st

Reply to
Mike P the 1st

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I have just gone over to using Opera. It seems to be pretty fast, certainly compared to IE6. IE8 just kept bombing my PC and I got fed up of reformatting .... FireFox also has some issues but I much prefer Opera Jim

Reply to
the_constructor

Chrome is fast, but the open source version Chromium is faster (and less buggy). Firefox with a few add-ons if you are scared of Gogle spying on you. Both are best under Linux, of course.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

PeterC wrote: [Google Chrome]

Chromium is the open-source version of Chrome supposedly without the Google-phoning-home stuff. I haven't tried it.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

I'm happy with Firefox, but I do keep getting annoyed by the resource issue.

I tend to leave the basic internet machine on 24/7 and open tabs and leave them open because I'm still working on whatever it was. Currently I seem to have 47 tabs open.

To get ram usage back down from the 2.15 gigs to the 'ticking over' 1.0 gigs, I'll just close FF and reopen. But should I have to do this?

Reply to
Bill

In message , the_constructor wrote

I was running Opera for years until the late Version9/Early version 10 when they completely lost the plot and on my computer, running Windows XP, it froze on a regular basis.

I changed to Firefox and find it OK.

Reply to
Alan

I'm running Opera 10.10 on my Windows 7-64 box and it runs just fine. For a few sites I have to use Firefox, reverting to IE only when really necessary.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Thanks for all the replies: looks like Firefox wins by a long margin!

So, as someone who's only ever used IE in anger, how often is it 'necessary' to revert to it FF fails to work? I presume it's advisable to keep IE installed but set the default browser as FF, and only use IE when 'necessary' - is that a pain (in other words, if I change the family PC to FF, am I going to get grief from SWMBO et al who of course see no problem with using IE in the first place...?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I rarely need to switch from FireFox to IE - the last time, was when trying to use the Highland Council website. And I _really_ like the add-ons!

Reply to
S Viemeister

FF for 'emergencies'; Opera 10.10 currently; slowly changing over to Opera

10.50 (I have Opera so highly modified that it takes some time to get everything right).

IE is blocked by the firewall - that thing's not allowed out.

Reply to
PeterC

I've set sf for Screwfix, ts for - guess what, etc., so 2 or 3 letters in the address bar, hit Enter and there's the site.

FF is set up to be as like Opera as possible - most of it works but a bit sluggishly.

Reply to
PeterC

That's the one!

Reply to
PeterC

Lobster gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Not so much FF failing to work, but encountering sites where the designers have failed to account for browsers other than IE. And, these days, that's very rarely. The odd site might "look a bit funny", but usually you wouldn't know unless you looked at 'em back to back. Even they're getting scarce - designers have realised that there's a lot of people turning away from IE.

If you/your missus uses Outlook Web Access to get to your work email, you'll find that works a lot better in IE - odd, that - but works fine in FF and others, too. Even Microsoft have realised the world is not a monopoly.

Some online banking sites - RBS, for one - resolutely refuse to play with anything but IE. Can't see that lasting much longer, though.

Others - FD, for one - are fine in FF.

If you're on Windows, you have no choice.

Just tell her it's a new version of IE.

Reply to
Adrian

OK, but in SWMBO-speak, that's the same thing...

The plot thickens - yes, *she* does use OWA :-(

...and in fact we are both regular RBS online users :-(

I like it...!

David

Reply to
Lobster