Camera usb-shamelessly OT

I'm looking for a way to remotely activate the shutter on a Canon S2 camera via USB. Seems like it's possible, so I've been here and got the CHDK software up and running

I have to figure out how to power the usb lead from a battery and

switch it on and off. Loads of suggestions on the above site, ranging from wireless doorbells to LED torches. Fine if you're handy with a soldering iron but, as I'm not, can anyone suggest an idiot proof way that doesn't involve taking too many things things apart? Any suggestions appreciated

Reply to
stuart noble

The "building usb-remote-cable" thread on that board appears very detailed and extensive. It's certainly simple enough to strip one end of a USB cable and solder it to a battery, but to design a sturdy, neat package for that you'll need some clever tinkering.

Or, just go retail -

Steve Walker

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, that thread is certainly comprehensive, but clever tinkering in the electronics field is not really my game. I'm not that bothered about it being sturdy or neat as I'll only be using it at home. Until I know the software works I was thinking about a switched

4xAA battery holder as a trial so that I only have 2 sets of wires to join (hopefully the right ones). Does that sound feasible?
Reply to
stuart noble

Do you mean without a PC? I've got an S2 and the software supplied with the cam [not available online] will do the job just fine - and control zoom and a few other things.

Reply to
Simon C.

Hmm, on second thoughts the Amazon link looks tempting, except it doesn't say whether it has an on/off switch.

Reply to
stuart noble

And if you want more, I think PSRemote works.

At a price - USD95.

Reply to
Rod

Tried it, didn't work with Vista for the S2 - tho will work with XP aiui.

Reply to
Simon C.

Ah yes, always wise to save the cost of a Canon remote control by making one up yourself then blowing the USB port on your camera.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yes, so that the shutter can be activated without touching the camera. AFAIK there is no way to do this without the CHDK firmware.

I've got an S2 and the software supplied

I tried their video software, which was such a shambles I didn't look any further.

Reply to
stuart noble

Jumping to conclusions as usual. As it happens there is *no* remote facility on the S2, so this is the *only* way to do it.

The voltage issue is discussed in detail on the CHDK forum. I wasn't about to hook it up to 12 volts....

Reply to
stuart noble

Not at all, simply pointing out the consequences of not being good with a soldering iron.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I assume you assumed 1) that there was a Canon accessory available for the camera, and 2) that I was trying to save a few quid by bodging something up instead. Now that's what I call jumping to conclusions. Even I can manage to join 2 wires, but I would not be confident soldering them to pcbs.

Reply to
stuart noble

Never a good place to start.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In case anyone else is interested in extending the functionality of their Canon point and shoot camera...

shutter, RAW files, motion detection, time lapse etc. All good fun, and it doesn't change the camera's firmware.

Reply to
stuart_noblenospam