OT - which internet browser?

Lobster gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

IKWYM.

There's always the IE Tab plugin - uses IE to render pages within a tab in FF - and can, IIRC, be set to do so automagically for certain domain names. The original IE Tab seems to have stagnated, since the original dev has apparently moved to Linux, but there appears to be a fork - "Coral IE Tab" - which is live, as well as another plugin - IE View.

Reply to
Adrian

I bank on-line with RBS (and several others) and use Firefox - never had the slightest problem.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In message , Adrian wrote

RBS online banking works with both Firefox and Opera (Opera can be configured to report as another browser)

IE is not installed on my Windows XP machine.

Start -> Control Panel -> Add or remove programs -> Add or remove Windows components.

Reply to
Alan

Alan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, yes, it is...

You might have uninstalled IE7/8, back to 6. You might even have persuaded 6 to hide. But it's there.

What happens if you fire up Windows Update?

Reply to
Adrian

more or les snever.

Soem broken sites wont render proeprly in FF - they have been frigged till they 'work with IE' but later FF's have mostly replicated the broken IE way of doing things.,

I presume it's advisable

Wife and I both have FF - she on a mac and I on Linux/windows.

Really., no issues, and adblock is the dogs bollocks.

saves bandwidth.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But quite often work perfectly well if you install "User Agent Switcher" and have FF tell the web site it *is* IE.

Reply to
Huge

Maybe, but the whole point of the web was that you were *not* supposed to need a specific setup in order to use it. If website designers have "failed to account for other browsers ...", then they need a good smack to remind them to code to published standards so that the millions of folk who don't use Windows are not shut out.

Reply to
Tim Streater

*shrug* why would they care about 5% of customers?

The attitude of most people who commissions sites is 'no one uses anything but IE'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A lead brick in the balls for them, in that case.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I agree, but do they actually have any to brick?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I normally use the IE Tab add on to FF if a site doesn't work properly in FF. However, it currently on;y works for FF 3.5 or less, as I found when I recently upgraded to FF 3.6. However, an update should be along soon.

Reply to
<me9

Been using it here for a long time without any issues.

I can't remember the last time it 'failed'. However, install 'Coral IE Tab' add-on and with a click you can change to using the IE rendering engine.

I keep it installed so that I can do my shopping 'research' using FF and then use IE to go through Quidco or TopCashBack to make the actual purchase without falling foul of any tracking problems.

Tesco's finance site sometimes seems to lag behind new versions of FF by a couple of days. Odd, as someone on their web team I spoke to said they preferred FF...

I have had problems using FF on Bradford Council's website. Just wouldn't navigate to the planning map page.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Coral IE Tab 1.80.20100224 works here with FF 3.6

Google seem to be jumping on the IE 'must install' bandwagon - avoid

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

Never.

I've never used a Windows machine as my "home computer".

Reply to
Huge

Lucky you.

Sadly, some of us need the bloody shit, to run programs on that wont run on anything else.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Chrome gets my vote. Synchronised bookmarks across each installation, very very fast, compatibility good (in my experience).

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I'm running FreeBSD here for most of what I do. I've installed Sun's VirtualBox on it, so for the few applications that will only run on Windoze I just fire up XP running as a virtual machine, works fine and much more convenient than having to power up another PC.

Reply to
Mike Clarke