[OT] Where to get a balanced and varied source of news in the UK?

En el artículo , Tim Watts escribió:

AdBlock Plus or uBlock and Ghostery will sort those, plus much more.

Yes, the Telegraph's own clickbait is irritating. The owners, the Barclay brothers, are desperately trying to offload the business. The way it's going, there won't be any business left to sell.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Telegraph has had it.

What little quality is left is now behind a 'premium' paywall, but its not worth reading that much.

If adverstisers cant support it, customers wont.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They also have an app you can download to your phone (Android - don't know about Apple). Its not bad and not too intrusive if you configure the alerts properly. It has a similar look to the website.

Reply to
Mark Allread

As mentioned above they also have an app that looks similar to the website if you wanted to have something more mobile.

Reply to
Mark Allread

En el artículo , Mark Allread escribió:

Ta.

I'm a bit old skool. Fire up a batch file on the PC that opens about 40 websites in tabs on Firefox while I make coffee in the morning. Mixture of news, tech news, cartoons, fun, etc. I've added RT and Reuters now.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

If I tried to open 40 tabs with the speeds I get here the system would collapse!

Is the Register one of the tabs? I used to be an avid reader of BOFH but now only read it occassionally.

Reply to
Mark Allread

En el artículo , Mark Allread escribió:

That's in addition to the 30 or so tabs I have open already.

2 second delay between each url to give it time to catch its breath. And 40Mbps fibre.

Firefox is the only browser that can cope. Chrome goes bananas and eventually locks the machine up. IE... well, it's IE. It's good for spreading viruses and malware and not much else.

Oh, yes :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mark

Even win98 & Opera could do 50 tabs.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Harry ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

I tried to get the categories of interes as RSS feeds, but only a few had feeds so it was hardly worth while. Pity, as it looks reasonable.

Reply to
PeterC

Order Order?

harry

If you have 20 minutes to spare John Oliver does quite a good analysis of what is happening to journalism (despite being a Devout leftie, ex of "The Daily Show") in general as a result of demise of investigative print journalists, and the rise of "digital journalism".

Although it is a you tube link it is just a man talking to camera so can be listened to as easily as watched.

Reply to
Chris B

Guardian, Al Jazeera, Private Eye and FT (I get a work paid sub). If I want evidence to back up my bias, I subscribe to notifications from peer reviewed journals - Elsevier has a decent range of open access titles.

For me , though, hard copy is always best - although I only get the 'Eye regularly.

But obviously they all have an axe to grind. Just so long as it's my axe :-)

Reply to
RJH

I agree with you about hard copy.

Reply to
bert

To say nothing of the slow pages and video delays I get on the Telegraph site. Yes, my PC is a bit old but those pages shouldn't be as overloaded as they are.

Many online US national papers do better and also have an nicer page layout.

Reply to
pamela

En el artículo , pamela escribió:

It's all the ads, spyware and trackers they load in the background. I use Ghostery, a browser plugin that disables trackers and often it'll block up to 26 trackers on Torygraph pages.

Mike Tomlinson