Where get heat shrink tape in UK?

I find that large diameter heat shrink sleeving which is large enough to passes over wide parts of my cables does not contract enough to hold the actaul cable when they are heated heated.
Is it possible in the UK to buy just one or two rolls of heat shrink TAPE? I mean something similar to regular self-adhesive PVC insulation tape but which contracts when heated. Does such a thing exist?
My web searches such as this one at Farnell's http://snipurl.com/skla return heat shrink SLEEVES which is not what I want.

Search for "Self Amalgamating Tape"
Who? wrote:

Curses! Beaten by 4 minutes!
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

Self amalgamating tape isn't sticky. But it's not really a substitute for heat shrink.
--
*Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?*

There are about three different compounds used to make self-amalg tape, some squishier / more flexible than others. I wouldn't rule it out immediately.
Thinking about it, I've _never_ seen heatshrink tape - not sure if there's a technical reason for that.
Alix wrote:

I've never seen or heard of such a product. Perhaps self-amalgamating tape will do what you want?
http://tinyurl.com/fgp2f
HTH
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

http://rswww.com
50m Roll 20mm wide 0.07mm thick 130 deg C shrink temp Stock Code 170-5403 13.15

I doubt it as the principle is flawed.
Have you tried the type of heat shrink with the glue inside? That's what I use for the more demanding apps.

--
*A closed mouth gathers no feet.*

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:32:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

No it works, as posted 3 hours ago in Message-ID:
http://rswww.com
50m Roll 20mm wide 0.07mm thick 130 deg C shrink temp Stock Code 170-5403 13.15
Alix wrote:

Glue-lined zipper heatshrink tubing. You open up the tubing, lay in the cables, zip the tubing shut and apply heat. Aftrwards, cut off the zipper along its length with a craft knife, to leave a round cable. Handy for all those time when you can't get a tube over the end (especially in the middle of a cable run, replacing a section of damaged cable..).
The result is a totally water and air-tight cable assembly - as the glue exudes out of the ends of the tube to make a perfect seal.
But rather over-kill for inside a PC. Spiral wrap is cheaper and more flexible - as it allows all the cables to be wrapped together, with cables exiting from the spiral wrap at intermediate points. It comes in a range or diameters.
--
Sue

"Zip the tubing shut"? This sounds clever. Do you have a link to where this product is shown?

Just what I want.

It's not inside a PC but outside. For example, I have a mic cable which plugs into the PC. It has a joint which I have made and the cable gets moved a lot. Most of the PVC insulating tape I have seen starts to open up or even unravel under the repeated flexing. So I want to seal the insulating tape on the joint or to replace it entirely with something which canbe sealed and not need any further attention.
www.cpc.co.uk do heatshrink & adhesive lined, including 4:1 shrink.
Shortest length is 1.2m, if you just need a small piece indicate a) what size o.d. you need to fit over things and b) end size o.d.
Where o.d. is overall diameter. I may have the right size free.
Noted adhesive lined will not be flexible once shrunk, it will be rigid and can force cables to break. If the cable is not moved much this is not really important - if it is, layer non heatshrink.
--
DB.

Alix wrote:

Just search for "zipper heat shrink tubing". I buy mine from my local electrical supplies company. It is used a lot to make permanent repairs to mid-sections of power cables.

Zipper tubing is *very* inflexible once set. Fine for inline repairs to cables that will not normally move but not for anything that you want to flex.
As others have said, self-amalgamating tape sounds like the answer. It will *not* unravel - as the stuff bonds to itself to make a solid covering. It will not open up.
If you cover the joint in hot-melt glue and, before the glue has hardened, wrap the joint with self-amalgamating tape, the result is almost as good as zipper tube. It can't be used for mains as the insulation thickness is uncertain (unlike zipper tube, which can be used for mains voltages and above). Be careful not to burn your fingers...
--
Sue

Best thing is not to have a joint in a flexible cable. A suitable connector would be a better solution. The snag with heatshrink for this use is it's not flexible - so the cable flexes immediately before or after it and breaks. A proper connector will have a rubber gland which sort of spreads the length of the cable flexing.
The normal mic connector is of course the XLR - but this might be a bit big and heavy for this use - especially if the PC connector is the standard mini jack. If the mic and cable is getting a lot of movement, I'd fit an XLR chassis connector into a suitable instument box and weight or fix that down and run a cable from there to the PC - and plug the mic cable into the box. An XLR mic cable is designed to be flexed without damage.
--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

In uk.d-i-y, Alix wrote:

Simple lateral solution: Make a loop in the cable with the joint at its centre...
---------------------------. ----------\---------------------------- | / '--****--' **** = joint
... and put some big shrink-wrap tube over the lot.
--
Mike Barnes

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 12:45:49 +0100, Alix wrote:

I think your best bet is the rubbery type self amalgamating tape. Careful application will produce a nice variable flexabilty strain relief. On the common 2 or 3 mm overall dia PC mic cables and even smaller cores getting the stuff on can be tricky. The problem is the tension, you need to stretch it to a good twice it's supplied length. You can get away with making a narrow strip say 1/2" wide and only and 1" or 2 long, stretching it then applying it. Most tension is required for the initial stretch, once streched it doesn't fully spring back so doesn't need as much tension to apply.
This stuff forms a very good seal and lasts donkeys years outside. I've taken it of N type aerial conections that have been roof top exposed for

bright and clean as the day I wrapped 'em up.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail
Alix wrote:

So use heat shrink TUBING.

Or if it won't fit over the connectors you could even use heat shrink TAPE.
It sounds like you are trying to sheath cables? o Use expanding nylon braid for around the cables ---- expands as large as you want o Use adhesive lined heatshrink for the ends only ---- glue melts into the braiding to stop it coming apart ---- plain heatshrink can slide off the braiding
That will retain flexibility except around the adhesive lined heatshrink ends which will be a bit rigid. That can be minimised by using very short pieces of heatshrink, since it is the glue that seals the nylon braiding together.
Spiral wrap comes in several sizes - small o.d. to large o.d., the large o.d. is useful re cables exiting everywhere (5.25").
Self amalgamating tape is for outside applications really. It is not really suited here, it can make a right mess.
Try to aim for 3:1 low temp heatshrink vs 2:1 high temp. Quality heatshrink costs a little more, but is worth it.
Alternatively use... o More cable ties along the cable to keep wires bundled more o Velcro cable fasteners to bundle cables up as needed
Most supermarkets carry pk5-6 velcro cable ties for 79-99p. They work well re not damaging cables, easily undone/redone.
To join wires - spiral-bare-ends-into-one-another vs overlap-twist, it results in a better connection, less sharp points thro heatshrink. Note very large heatshrink will readily split on any sharp objects, and becomes rigidised (shrink increases wall thickness), so it is far better to use nylon braiding than heatshrink for sleeving.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.dorothybradbury.co.uk for quiet Panaflo & NMB-MAT fans

Is there some way to stop this braid siding off the joint. It sounds as if it is in the right ball-park but I don't want it to slide of a frequently flexed joint such as one I made on my mic cable.

SOmeone esle mentioned this too. Where on the net can I see see and get it from?

My need is for a single cable and not to tidily group several cables together.

Uh oh. This is clever stuff. I havd never though of a ratio of normal to shrunk dimensions.
Once the heat-shrink has shrunk does it exert a force/tension or does it shirnk to a new reduced dimension but without any significant grip? IYSWIM.

I used to love the velcro ties. Now I prefer those green plastic plant ties with the long oblong hole which can be undone with a single tug.

Interesting to see you make a distinction. However I can not quite see the difference between the two methods you decribe. Is "spiral- bare-ends" where I bare the end of the wire, twist it so the strands are spiralled together and then, um, how do I do "into one another"?
Presumably "overlap-twist" is where the bared end of the wire are each not spiralled together to start with. And then I take the two bared ends and twist them together. Is that correct? Is this with the insulated portion of the cables side by side or with each insulated port of cable on opposing sides before the twisting together?