Large bore heat shrink sleeving

Hi Chaps I was investigating our kitchen extractor fan the other day and there is a gap between the 4" circular ducting plastic and the top of the extractor fan unit of about 4 ins (approx 100mm) which at present is taped up using gaffer tape. This isn't much use at keeping grease out of the cupboard over a long period (a couple of years in this case)

I'm guessing that during the initial fit the 90 deg angle rectangular to round plastic fitting wouldn't fit into the cupboard from the top which is why it has been cut off short.

My question is is there something like heat shrink sleeving at 4 or 5 in diameter which could be used to successfully join the two bits of ducting from the top of the extractor to the plastic ducting leading outside rather than just gaffer tape which doesn't stick very well due to everything being a bit greasy.

Any ideas where I might source this from?

Flexible plastic or rubber hose making a tight fit might also be acceptable.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

How about the fittings for the soil pipe on toilet pans?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, and you can even get it as a flat sheet with a ziploc connection, rather than as a tube. 3M sell it as part of underground cable jointing kits.

Unfortunately the price is "prohibitive". I imagine this will still be the case for any heatshrink that diameter.

I would suggest the classic gaffer tape.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You can also buy flat sheet with an adhesive join, although I've only used it on 2" water barrel, to stop a minor leak in an airline joint.

Certainly that is my recollection.

I would use self-amalgamating tape over the top of a single wrap of gaffer tape.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

ok thanks for that

best place for self amalgamating tape? screwfix? or....?

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

.. or cable ties?

Reply to
Mike Harrison

From: Ian & Hilda Dedic Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 Time: 09:22:20

Somewhere like this:

Reply to
Ian

Careful, there are some ladies here as well. B-)

If I read that right you have gaffer tape bridging a 4" wide gap between the outlet of the extractor (cooker hood?) and the inlet to the ducting.

Think the best solution is a short bit of the flexable ducting you can get from the sheds, cable tied to the outlet and the round inlet of the ducting.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Halfords used to sell it, with a reinforcing fabric overlay tape, as a hose repair kit.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

yes, but I don't think I can get a cable tie around the plastic ducting due to the 90 deg bend into rectangular conduit over the top of the cupboard. The hole is very tight, which is why I thought heat shrink sleeving would be a good move if I could get it.

I'll have to try something with self amalgamating tape (after de-greasing everything so the gaffer tape will stick.A Lovely job for the afternoon)

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

dedics

Reply to
Ian & Hilda Dedic

B&Q and plenty of others sell flexy aluminum duct in 4" diam .... fit a length of that and seal ends with pvc tape first, then a layer of gaffa tape on top.

Reply to
Rick Hughes