OT: What foods are we going to run out of with planes grounded?

No it's not. Most is frozen, but they also export fresh to us.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Stuff the food. What about the medicine?

Partner is awaiting the delivery of a medicine that she cannot get on the NHS (PCT won't now pay although they used to). So she orders it for herself from the US. Others buy similar medicines from Canada or Thailand.

(As this is a medicine with decent shelf life, she can and does buy ahead and could go for surface mail. But the point is made because there are many medicines which will be more urgently required by others and some could not be stockpiled/stored.)

Reply to
Rod

I wonder if they come from here:

must admit I don't see the appeal of cut flowers, much rather see them in the ground (and I guess we need them for the bees etc) and especially considering all the energy that must go into moving them about the world (flowers not bees). ;-)

Looks like it might be a laugh diving one of the trucks round the warehouse though and for some reason that reminded me of this:

T i m

Reply to
T i m

How? By air?

Reply to
Tim Streater

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Falco" saying something like:

Absolutely guaranteed there's some panicky selfish bastards out there doing that, right now.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Well that's better than importing something grown abroad, preparing/packing in this country and calling the result "UK Produce".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends on how long it takes to sail here, if it is less than 30 days, then the lamb is well hung.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 21:23:24 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon wibbled:

If I were PM, anyone caught blatantly doing that in a national shortage (if so declared, we're not there yet) would have their entire stock confiscated and replaced with a years supply of baked beans and the loan of an old air raid shelter for them and their family to "enjoy" them in.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Wont it have gone mangy before then? :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Umm... buy during normal supply... await shortage... increase price.

How commodities are traded on a daily basis. How business profits on a daily basis. How business profits from war, particularly WW-II. How business profitted from collapsing currency vs gold vs land re Zim to German Werner Republic.

I can guarantee any whiff of shortage will see big retailers to corner shop stockpiling & price gouging; I am not aware of any law against price gouging in the UK (there is in the USA). Vis., bottled water in times of flood.

Reply to
js.b1

Yes they are.

Panicing morons is what they are.

Reply to
Huge

probably not . . . but maybe. . .

'panicking morons' who know how to spell

Reply to
OG

If the wind changes direction Thames Water will be able to use the slogan 'with added volcanicity'

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , John writes

Apparently, that is part of the problem

bits of glacier falling into the caldera and the steam propelling the pumice high into the atmosphere

Sounds like bollox to me, mind

Reply to
geoff

All those flowers sold at traffic lights ...

Reply to
geoff

Holland?

Reply to
geoff

I have a shed full of air relatively free from volcanic dust here

maybe I should put a guard on it

Reply to
geoff

In message , Tim Streater writes