OT: Weird Cloud

I've been watching this strangely-behaved cloud on YT over and over trying to work out WTF it is. I admit I haven't a clue. Let's see if the diy community can work out what exactly this thing is (3.5 minute clip)

Leading theory in the comments is blown spume from a nearby sewerage plant but if that were the case why are bits of it coming off and vaporising like steam? And why would the local Arabs be fascinated by it if it were a common occurrence?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It is some sort of foam being wind blown. The small bits will evaporate faster as they have greater surface area to volume ration. It used to happen in Manchester long ago on a weir downstream from the soapworks.

It is only really obvious once it is trapped against the fence. The only puzzle is that it wants to stand vertical which may be because it has some methane in the bubbles. Shame they didn't put a match to it.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I'd go for foam as well. After a really bad Atlantic winter storm, masses of spume (foam) would build up on the local beaches, easily up to 12 - 18 inches deep, stabilised by algae (when it dried out, it left a greenish residue on the beach. Nothing to do with detergents or pollution). Chunks of various sizes would get separated off by the strong wind and blown inland, but nothing as big as that nor as stable.

Maybe the Arab was just a visitor driving by and hadn't seen one before. If it was from a sewerage works, I hope he washed his hands afterwards!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Turbulence is why bits come off. Vaprising like steam is because its largely wåter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not a cloud, it's a loose collection of fibrous material.

Reply to
newshound

Huh? Are you watching the same video as the rest of us?? It's water vapour, Jim, but not as we know it. Made me laugh when that camel-humper tooted his horn at it! What reaction was he expecting? <g>

Reply to
Dan Green

specsavers -->

Reply to