OT: website design and creation

On 17/10/2012 15:03, dennis@home wrote:

There are a bunch of MS multimedia ones that have a FN lock key. You need to push it first (and an LED comes on) to get normal F key functions. Otherwise you get the additional printed function on the key.
(they also tend to move the 6 keys about with pgUp/Dn, Home/End, Ins/Del on them, lose a key and Make Del oversized which is a right PITA if you are used to using those keys for editing).
--
Cheers,

John.

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:44:46 +0100 Bert Coules wrote :

I use CoffeeCup HTML editor, which is basically a text editor with lots of useful options. Not free though ($69).
http://www.coffeecup.com/html-editor /
For myself I don't want some WYSIWYG tool that turns out unreadable code.
Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

I use UltraEdit, which is outstanding, but probably a bit of overkill for what you want.
Nothing to do with editors, but I'll make a tentative suggestion to you and would appreciate comments from those more experienced. In your position I'd write everything in PHP. Not as drastic as it sounds - I'd write HTML as usual but give every file a PHP extension. You then have the opportunity to add PHP code when you're ready. PHP, to put it at its simplest, will allow you to do proper programming in your web page with variables etc and the ability to include material from other files. So for instance a common menu or programmable content will be a doddle. I know you probably aren't thinking in those terms at the moment but it's as well to look ahead.
As I say, just an idea, might be a really bad one, comments welcome.
--
Mike Barnes

Mike and others, thanks for the latest views. I still working away with Notepad++ which I think will suit me just fine. As TNP says, it's not really any great hassle to type in the HTML commands and it's a valuable learning tool, too, I think: it goes some way to cementing them in your brain in the way that automated entry possibly wouldn't.
Mike, I'm not familiar at all with PHP and while I'm grateful for the thought I think I've got about enough on my plate at the moment with relearning HTML and unlearning the various bad practices and now-obsolete coding that I used last time round.
Bert

Agreed.
Next step is to make sure you have a browser with developer tools, so that you can see how the browser deals with your code. Getting to grips with the developer tools is yet another part of the learning curve, I'm afraid, but a very illuminating one. File that thought away for the first time you don't understand why the browser isn't showing you what you think it ought to.
I wish I had such a thing when I started writing HTML.
--
Mike Barnes

Mike Barnes wrote:

not a bad idea.
--
Ineptocracy

On 16/10/12 20:43, Mike Barnes wrote:

Used at its most basic PHP is an enhanced form of server side include. Certainly if you have a lot of pages with the same base form separating the content from page structure in this way can be very effective. All the structure and CSS formatting can reside in one document and the content in others. it is then easy to add new content without being buried in a forest of HTML tags. Write content text in any word processor taking advantage of spell checking etc, save as plaintext, edit plain text to add the minimal markup required.
When using PHP I think the important thing is to decide whether to conceive of the file linked to the URL as a PHP program that will assemble the HTML page or, as fundamentally an HTML page that uses PHP to include other bits of HTML. Not making that conceptual choice at the outset is, in my opinion, a sure way to end up with an insecure and unmaintainable mess.

--
djc

"djc" wrote:

Thanks for that, but the fact that I haven't the slightest idea what it means suggests very strongly to me that just at the moment I should concentrate on the basics.

But isn't that exactly what the CSS approach does? Certainly the simple site I'm putting together has one CSS file to format the several HTML pages, which are much less cluttered as a result.
Bert

CSS is good for seperating the content from the page layout. PHP can be used for automating web pages, including common blocks of code, automating image sizing etc.
--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
http://www.sandrila.co.uk/
Paul Herber wrote:

Why he is saying that <?php5 include(mystandardframe.php) ?> .....
is the easy way to have a common block of HTML for multiple pages that e,g. have the same frame top and menu buttons down the side. .
Style sheets define styles for elements, but not the actual HTML elements themselves.
But that is the next step AFTER mastering style sheets and basic HTML elements.
--
Ineptocracy

Amaya is a WYSIWYG editor for HTML from the W3C, but rather cleverly you can open a source HTML window and edit in there, while observing the effect of the changes in the rendered window.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 71st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg their
"Huge" wrote:

Oh, clever stuff. I'm sort of settled with Notepad++ now, but I'll give it a look, thanks.
Bert
"Huge" wrote:

I just tried it but ran into an immediate quirk: my test webpage, which comes up perfectly in every browser I've tried, was all over the place in the Amaya display, with images the wrong size and text elements wrongly placed. I'll investigate further but for now it's back to Notebook++ and checking changes by refreshing the display in Firefox.
This is clearly one of those larks where if you're not careful you can end up spending more time playing with the tools than getting on with the job...
Bert

Oh, well. Sorry.

Welcome to computing generally.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 71st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3178
"I'm a velocity bird"
"Huge" wrote:

Don't be; I've probably just not set it up properly.
Bert
Bert Coules wrote:

:)
Rather fighting the browsers
Important is to define a suite of fonts that are supported across nearly all browsers and occupy the same pixel space.
--
Ineptocracy

You can make your HTML do that automatically http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/document/index_tagsupp_4.html
Just delete the code before you publish for real.
MBQ
"Man at B&Q" wrote:

Thanks, not just for the specific code but for the site as a whole: it looks very useful.
Bert

Rather than plain-old Notepad, why not try Notepad++ Does syntax highlighting amonst many other tricks...
http://notepad-plus-plus.org /
I have also used this one, which is broadly similar:
http://www.pspad.com/en/pspad.htm
--
Using Opera's mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail /

"MaRKg123" wrote:

Yes, I've been trying it, thanks. My colour vision is a tad strange and some of the visual coding is a bit wasted on me, but I'm liking the program overall.
Bert