OT: website design and creation

After all the encouragement in another thread to redesign my old webpages from scratch rather than using a fancy WYSIWYG program, I've embarked on just that.
Would any of you computer gurus recommend a straightforward text-type editor for working on HTML scripts? I'm using Notepad, which is certainly straightforward, but I wonder if there's anything out there which offers stuff like instant macro entry for frequently used commands, colour coding for various elements and the like. Googling has turned up lots of bells and whistles progs with display-as-you-type capabilities but I'm thinking of something rather simpler.
Many thanks.
Bert
Bert Coules wrote:

I use Geany.
Its a free download, and works on all platforms I think
Though you will need to get GTK libraries for windows as well if that's your platform
I did use summat else years ago on windows that ran natively.
IIRC there's a mozilla editor as well which is almost WYSIWYG (Mozilla composer) bit its been a long time..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors
is a good place to start.

--
Ineptocracy

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Thanks for that. I'll take a look. I do like the pleasing simplicity of Notepad but just a few more refinements would undoubtedly be handy.
Bert

Notepad++ will highlight syntax. Same with JEdit but I found the latter to be unstable.
HTMLkit is not too bad. CoffeeCup also, but I think the completely free version is no longer available, my latest one timed out.
MBQ

I've used Arachnophilia v.4.0 build 5309 since 1999 when I taught myself HTML. Arachnophilia is now Java-based, at v.5.5 build 2705 but comments I've seen indicate that the old v.4.0 is preferred by a lot of people, including me. Here's a link:
http://arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index_old.html
HTH, someone

Bert Coules wrote:

I use komodo edit, if you prefer something with built in FTP publishing you would need to look elsewhere ...

TextWrangler I use all the time.
--
Tim

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 17:44:46 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

How about Notepad++ ? It can probably be set up for HTML and supports macros.

On 16/10/12 17:44, Bert Coules wrote:

gedit but that's on Linux. I don't demand much apart from syntax highlighting.
--
djc

There's a Windows port.
Sadly, it's crap.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 71st day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3178
"If there is anyone here who I have not insulted, I beg their
Bert Coules wrote:

well some of the wizzier editors will allow you to highlight right click and 'create link' etc.
Dreamweaver was a bit like that, but then you had a whole dialogue box to fill in to say what sort of link, tp specify the yarget, specify the font style colours size or select a stylesheet class..Jesus. Buy the time you had finished it was quicker to simply type in the HTML.

--
Ineptocracy

On 16/10/2012 19:41, Bert Coules wrote:

There are not that many tags that you use a lot so you could probably map accelerator keys onto your favourite tags with a bit of cunning.
You might find BlueGriffon in either tags or raw text mode more to your liking if you are used to screenplay editors. It is a matter of personal choice what style of editor and toolset you prefer.
Pressing Fn keys these days is rather old hat you have to do many mouse clicks and weird finger gestures instead (and it is getting worse)
I rather liked Hotmetal but alas it was taken over by Corel and ruined. It did any of WYSIWYG, tags or raw HTML with syntax checking. (now obsolete but BlueGriffon comes close and is freeware)
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Martin Brown wrote:

I long have been a cordial disliker of the mouse especially when using a word processor: I find it crucially interrupts my typing to have to take my fingers from the keyboard and think them into doing something quite different. Fortunately both Word and WordPerfect can be run almost entirely from the keys (including - extensively - the function keys) alone.
Function kets might well be old hat but I sincerely hope I never see the day when PC keyboards start appearing without them.
Bert
Bert Coules wrote:

Already happening, several keyboards now need you to press Fn with the 'function' keys to actually get F1-F12, rather than weird and wonderful special functions when used by themselves, e.g.
<
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/wireless-desktop-3000/mk_wd3000_otherviews02.jpg
Andy Burns wrote:

<
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/wireless-desktop-3000/mk_wd3000_otherviews02.jpg
Bad example, that picture shows one where you press Fn with the function keys to get the special functions (like on a laptop) but there are models where that's reversed ...
<
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/wireless-desktop-3000/mk_wd3000_otherviews08.jpg
Andy Burns wrote:

From what I can see, that's a special row of dedicated keys above the 1, 2, 3... row, right where the, er, function keys should be. Have they really replaced something versatile and programmable with keys that only do one thing? Logical...
Bert
Andy Burns wrote:

<
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/_base_v1/products/wireless-desktop-3000/mk_wd3000_otherviews02.jpg

One reason to reserve the laptop for special occasions ONLY.
--
Ineptocracy

My notebook has an Fn key and keys F1-F12 but you press Fn to get to the alternate uses (screen brightness, play, etc.). Has anyone actually got one of those keyboards to see which way around the Fn key works?