OT: Water Pistol

I want a water pistol which is good quality and doesn't drip. Not too big, mustn't look like a real gun, accurate but no need for a long range.

This is for holidaying in Greece and keeping cats at bay - it seems to be the best way to deter them without harming them, and can be fun too. Where we tend to go there are many semi-domesticated cats, kept mainly for killing rodents and snakes. Some visitors feed and encourage them, I don't want them inside.

Suggestions?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Super Soaker.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

As a student, our water fights used large disposable syringes, without needles, which could shoot water quite some distance.

Reply to
nightjar

An ordinary plant mister set to the narrowest jet setting should do the trick. Cats seem especially sensitive to water and so just the sight of the jet of water may act as deterrent even from ten or more feet away without actually making contact.

Emptied and purged Jif Lemons may work at shorter ranges providing you have a use for the juice which can be bottled for later use.

michael adams

michael adams

Water hose, point with one hand and have the hose kinked in the other, release the kink to spray.

Reply to
misterroy

Mr Pounder Esquire

How many non cat owners do (I didn't the one that climbed into our downstairs toilet window, fell into the toilet and then ripped the wallpaper in it's desperate (and failed) effort to get out), or outside on their vegetable patch, in their Koi pond or on their cars for that matter?

If you want fun then a supersoaker filled with a mix of stink bomb chemical and some semi-permanent die (like they are using on rioters in China).

Washing the stink off will give the owners some idea what it's like for non cat owners when they tread in their stuff in their own back gardens and the die could be a indicator to the owners that their 'pet' has been causing antisocial issues to innocent people. [1]

Then just sit back and wait for the cat 'owners' to come round and

*complain* (and yes, they will 'of course'), as soon as their choice of pet is considered an issue to others and they are made ware of such. They are like parents of ASBO kids complaining that the victim shouted at them when they were crapping in their garden or sitting on their car.

Or if cats like playing with snakes, get a largish python and give it the same freedom as cat owners give their chosen 'companion [2] animal'? ;-)

Hey, and I don't think you need a licence for a non venomous snake so you can just walk away from it when it's done whatever snakes do when you aren't keeping them under control. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] A neighbour, fed up with cats fouling in his garden and taking his fish put some lithium grease along the top of *his* fence. Another neighbour complained to me in passing later that their cat must have walked in some grease and then come home and walked it all over their white leather sofa. I had real difficulty keeping a straight face. ;-) [2] Companion means 'someone/thing' (person or animal) you spend a *lot* of time with. "Are, there you are Mr Tiddles, I've not see you for days ... poo, you stink and why are you orange ... ?" ;-)
Reply to
T i m

< snippage >

These are semi-feral cats, in a holiday location which the OP is visiting as a guest.

The fact that you are clearly being persecuted by cats yourself, along with their thoughtless "owners", while deeply regrettable in itself, may not be of immediate relevance in this situation unfortunately.

michael adams

michael adams

Snakes or rodents ?

Reply to
Andrew

Hong Kong water cannon with blue dye ?

Reply to
Andrew

C02 fire extinguisher ?

Reply to
Andrew

Don?t be a twerp , the OP is talking about a foreign country where because of the Rodent control reason he gave groups of semi feral cats are tolerated and sometimes fed but that is where any sentimentality for them ends. Nobody owns them ,they don?t get taken to a vet if ill and nobody gives them cute names. If one is killed or maimed hardly anyone cares there are plenty more to replace them. Its a common practice in many places . The population will care as much about an individual cat as much as you would care about a neighbour treading on a snail that came from your garden.

GH

Reply to
Marland

The one I use for the task is the Water Blaster XLR water cannon.

It is basically plastic version of an old style garden sprayer with a larger nozzle. Very simple, no triggers or silly coloured parts to break. Mine is 5 years old now, lives by the water Butt ready for use and only maintenance undertaken has been some rubber friendly lubricant on the rubber O Rings.

Long range so you can reach the targets before they move and a decent volume of water per shot. Also fun to knock pigeons off the telegraph pole .

Various suppliers but importers link given for Info

GH

Reply to
Marland

That's not possible. Remember that it's T r o l l you're talking to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

*All* of them?

It should be more than that though.

No, quite. You have use Usenet before though haven't you? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ok ...

So that means they are also semi domesticated?

Did the op state he wouldn't be happy to clear even *some* of the cats and some of them would have owners (so my comments would apply).

<shrug> .. For some of them. The others though ... and which ones do you think most likely to not be afraid of people?

The ones that are mostly feral I get, but you seem to be just focusing on those for some reason?

I bet there are people out there that would and do.

What, not one, ever?

So some people 'do care' and that is *always* the case with cats as they breed like rats.

I'm sure it is. Not sure what your point is though?

I thought you were going to say ... as much they do in many countries. ;-(

Many people over here seem to treat their cat in the same way you might treat a pigeon ... in that if it makes it home it's a result and if not (as you say), they just get another one, not even bothering to pin a 'Lost Cat' sign on the local trees.

The point is this casual relationship people have with their cats can (and often does) work both ways (which can be part of the problem (often to others)).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I wonder why goblins like this Squeaker thing say they have killfiles and yet still read everything people they have supposedly killfiled type?

Beats just copying and pasting Twatter I guess.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Holiday elsewhere.

Reply to
Richard

In message <qlnvpb$m0o$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Clive Arthur snipped-for-privacy@nowaytoday.co.uk> writes

We had great fun with tiny plastic water pistols, no more that 2 inches by 2 inches, so limited supplies of water, but both accurate and long range, and hardly likely to be mistaken for a gun by 'the authorities'.

The pistols came from Christmas crackers, so probably not a helpful suggestion at this time of year. Sorry :-)

Reply to
Graeme

Why not get one of the sonic things that keep them away?

No need to actively chase them at all and harmless.

I can?t say I especially like cats. I don?t dislike them. Several wander through our garden, across the patio, look at you etc or in front of the porch where I smoke my pipe and pause as if to say, ?Any food going??. They are harmless.

In a previous house there was one which left its sh*t on the lawn but even with several cats in the area here, we don?t have that problem.

Reply to
Brian Reay