OT: Water Pistol

I want a water pistol which is good quality and doesn't drip. Not too big, mustn't look like a real gun, accurate but no need for a long range.
This is for holidaying in Greece and keeping cats at bay - it seems to be the best way to deter them without harming them, and can be fun too. Where we tend to go there are many semi-domesticated cats, kept mainly for killing rodents and snakes. Some visitors feed and encourage them, I don't want them inside.
Suggestions?
Cheers
--
Clive

Super Soaker.
Thomas Prufer

An ordinary plant mister set to the narrowest jet setting should do the trick. Cats seem especially sensitive to water and so just the sight of the jet of water may act as deterrent even from ten or more feet away without actually making contact.
Emptied and purged Jif Lemons may work at shorter ranges providing you have a use for the juice which can be bottled for later use.
michael adams
On 16/09/2019 13:39, Clive Arthur wrote:

As a student, our water fights used large disposable syringes, without needles, which could shoot water quite some distance.
--
Colin Bignell

On Monday, September 16, 2019 at 5:03:14 PM UTC+1, nightjar wrote:

too

e.

them,

Water hose, point with one hand and have the hose kinked in the other, rele ase the kink to spray.
On 16/09/2019 17:35, misterroy wrote:

C02 fire extinguisher ?
misterroy wrote:

Fire hose?
Clive Arthur wrote:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/antifreeze
On 16/09/2019 18:13, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

I sincerely hope that when your wife died of cancer that she was in as much pain as the pain antifreeze causes to a cat.
--
Adam

Hadn’t she suffered enough after living with such a nasty piece of work over the years.
The P.O.S should remember that it works for dogs too and he has one though dog napping seems to be a main cause of losing a small dog lately.
GH
On 20/09/2019 09:22, Marland wrote:

I thought that his ankle biting fanny licker Westie was also dead.
--
Adam

Halfords antifreeze (and most others) contain a cat deterrent now. Also they're moving away from ethylene glycol
--
bert

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 13:39:06 +0100, Clive Arthur

How many non cat owners do (I didn't the one that climbed into our downstairs toilet window, fell into the toilet and then ripped the wallpaper in it's desperate (and failed) effort to get out), or outside on their vegetable patch, in their Koi pond or on their cars for that matter?

If you want fun then a supersoaker filled with a mix of stink bomb chemical and some semi-permanent die (like they are using on rioters in China).
Washing the stink off will give the owners some idea what it's like for non cat owners when they tread in their stuff in their own back gardens and the die could be a indicator to the owners that their 'pet' has been causing antisocial issues to innocent people. [1]
Then just sit back and wait for the cat 'owners' to come round and *complain* (and yes, they will 'of course'), as soon as their choice of pet is considered an issue to others and they are made ware of such. They are like parents of ASBO kids complaining that the victim shouted at them when they were crapping in their garden or sitting on their car.
Or if cats like playing with snakes, get a largish python and give it the same freedom as cat owners give their chosen 'companion [2] animal'? ;-)
Hey, and I don't think you need a licence for a non venomous snake so you can just walk away from it when it's done whatever snakes do when you aren't keeping them under control. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
[1] A neighbour, fed up with cats fouling in his garden and taking his fish put some lithium grease along the top of *his* fence. Another neighbour complained to me in passing later that their cat must have walked in some grease and then come home and walked it all over their white leather sofa. I had real difficulty keeping a straight face. ;-)
[2] Companion means 'someone/thing' (person or animal) you spend a *lot* of time with. "Are, there you are Mr Tiddles, I've not see you for days ... poo, you stink and why are you orange ... ?" ;-)

< snippage >

These are semi-feral cats, in a holiday location which the OP is visiting as a guest.
The fact that you are clearly being persecuted by cats yourself, along with their thoughtless "owners", while deeply regrettable in itself, may not be of immediate relevance in this situation unfortunately.
michael adams
On Mon, 16 Sep 2019 19:46:45 +0100, "michael adams"

*All* of them?

It should be more than that though.

No, quite. You have use Usenet before though haven't you? ;-)
Cheers, T i m

Don’t be a twerp , the OP is talking about a foreign country where because of the Rodent control reason he gave groups of semi feral cats are tolerated and sometimes fed but that is where any sentimentality for them ends. Nobody owns them ,they don’t get taken to a vet if ill and nobody gives them cute names. If one is killed or maimed hardly anyone cares there are plenty more to replace them. Its a common practice in many places . The population will care as much about an individual cat as much as you would care about a neighbour treading on a snail that came from your garden.
GH

That's not possible. Remember that it's T r o l l you're talking to.
--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do that
cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon emissions and

I wonder why goblins like this Squeaker thing say they have killfiles and yet still read everything people they have supposedly killfiled type?
Beats just copying and pasting Twatter I guess.
Cheers, T i m

Ok ...

So that means they are also semi domesticated?
Did the op state he wouldn't be happy to clear even *some* of the cats and some of them would have owners (so my comments would apply).

you think most likely to not be afraid of people?

The ones that are mostly feral I get, but you seem to be just focusing on those for some reason?

I bet there are people out there that would and do.

What, not one, ever?

So some people 'do care' and that is *always* the case with cats as they breed like rats.

I'm sure it is. Not sure what your point is though?

I thought you were going to say ... as much they do in many countries. ;-(
Many people over here seem to treat their cat in the same way you might treat a pigeon ... in that if it makes it home it's a result and if not (as you say), they just get another one, not even bothering to pin a 'Lost Cat' sign on the local trees.
The point is this casual relationship people have with their cats can (and often does) work both ways (which can be part of the problem (often to others)).
Cheers, T i m
On Tuesday, 17 September 2019 00:55:39 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

But are they left or right brained surely you should be using that criteria to decide.

cats don't have owners they have staff.

It's usually those that haven't been in close contact with humans within th e first 10 weeks after birth.

Cats are clever and they will befriend anyone that feeds them. But unlike humans and dogs they aren't contolled once the food is gone.

Of course. I'd even do the same for students.

I'm betting some do, I did that with students until I get to know them, sometimes I refer to them by the cupboard I've allocated to them, sometimes by the project they are doing.

So do some humans. Cat's can in theory produce 5 litters a year whereas rats can produce 15 not quite the same rapididy but then again you've always had problmes with numbers and counting haven't.

where is over here ?

I don'rt think pigeon fancies as they are called do that. perhaps you're gettign confused with the local kebab shop.

Same goes with dogs a staffy kept coming up to me in the pub the other nigh t, the dog was really cute kept rolling over to be tickled it was a 8 year old staffodshire bull, and normally I'd stay well clear.
I've yet to hear of a cat killing a human being or even causing serious har m to one... but dogs .... and dogs can be trained to be good or bad dependi ng on whether your POV.