dueling pistol box

Hi Wreckers,

I am going to build a box for a set of dueling pistols that my father found at an auction a while back. I am not sure about the appropriate joinery and interior compartments for cleaning rods, ammunition, etc... Does anyone have an original box that they could photo and email to me (or post)? Thanks.

Ed Needler

PS. By the way, if you have not heard yet, Woodcraft has a new store in Indianapolis, IN. It's on 86th street EAST of I-69 (Take Hague North from 82nd St. then WEST toward I-69...right into parking lot after Cort Furniture) They brought in some beautiful lumber and are having a big sale on 7/24. 10% off everything in the store. The new Delta Unisaw X5 includes a mobile base, B-meyer fence, cast wings, extended table, and a free extra tool (PC 690 router, nailer, or drill) Also a five year warranty. Seems like a pretty good deal if you are looking for a Unisaw. Just passing it on.

Yes, I am working there PT, but I still think the deal is pretty good. Stop by and say "Hi" if you can.

Ed

Reply to
Ed

The following url links to a page that has a picture of a replica of an 18th century dueling pistol set.

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Mon, Jul 14, 2003, 1:48am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Ed) claims: Hi Wreckers, I am going to build a box for a set of dueling pistols that my father found at an auction a while back. I am not sure about the appropriate joinery and interior compartments for cleaning rods, ammunition, etc..

The case type depended on a lot of things. When and where the pistols were made, etc. Library has books with pictures. Let me think, oh yeak, if you do a search you will find all sorts of links, complete with pictures.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Mon, Jul 14, 2003, 1:48am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Ed) says: Hi Wreckers, I am going to build a box for a set of dueling pistols

Oh yeak, almost forgot. Might just be a matched pair of pistols, and not dueling pistols. How can you be so sure they are dueling pistols?

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

JOAT,

Chuckle...

First email- Collector with many years of experience re: antique firearms. I trust his judgement. They are dueling pistols.

Second email- I have not seen the guns yet, and have not yet spoken with him about the age of the set. I started w/ google, but thought that there was a possibility that someone had one and could shoot a pic of the joinery for me...no pun intended.

Anyway the idea just occurred to me last night to build this project.

Everyone else, thanks for the positive responses.

JOAT- you big PITA, thanks for making me smile. :)

Ed

Reply to
Ed

Reply to
Todd Stock

Mon, Jul 14, 2003, 12:15pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Ed) proclaims: First email- Collector with many years of experience re: antique firearms. I trust his judgement. They are dueling pistols.

I think you have the e-mails mixed up, I believe that was my second. I collected for years too - until I decided not to have any guns I couldn't actually shoot. I had a great interest in dueling pistols, and did quite a bit of research on them, never could afford a set - nice to know someone is so "experienced" they can just look at a pair of pistols and "know" they are dueling pistols.

Second email- I have not seen the guns yet, and have not yet spoken with him about the age of the set. I started w/ google, but thought that there was a possibility that someone had one and could shoot a pic of the joinery for me...no pun intended.

Like I said, the style of box, materials, interior design, etc., depends. On where the pistols were made, often the maker, style, when. You didn't listen. Usually dueling pistols were cased. But, not necessarily. Early dueling pistol cases were not as fancy/complex as later. If those are English pistols, a picture of a French case isn't going to be accurate, and vice versa. If you're gonna do it, you might as well try to do it right.

Anyway the idea just occurred to me last night to build this project. Everyone else, thanks for the positive responses.

So, trying to get you to be reasonably historically accurate was negative?

Some sort of description of the pistols would have been good. Smoothbore or rifled? Complete sights or just a front sight? English, French, what? Maker? Round barrels, octagon, what? When were they made? Barrel length? Type of grip? Flintlock, percussion, cartridge?

Or, if you just want to make a box, box joints would be historically correct enough, and partitions for whatever accessories you wanted, sometimes two of each - separate ramrod(s) (if not on the pistol), bullet mold, caps or flints, powder flask, priming powder, vent pick, etc.

JOAT- you big PITA, thanks for making me smile. :)

Possibly I could have saved you some research, and helped you come up with a reasonably historically accurate case, but you lost my interest with that sentence. Up yours.

JOAT Let's just take it for granted you don't know what the Hell you're talking about.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 13 Jul 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Tue, Jul 15, 2003, 12:17am (EDT+4) bonomi@c-ns. (Robert=A0Bonomi) claims: Well, If they've got Aaron Burr's name on 'em, and a "fired once" sticker. =A0

Well, I kinda doubt it, seeing as the Burr-Hamilton pistols weren't Burr's. They were Wogdon duelling pistols, and you can scroll down here to see a pair similar to the ones in that particular duel.

Very similar to everyday pistols, you can see, in fact a lot of duels just used everyday pistols - because that was what was available. Or rifles, knives, bullwhips, at least one used pitchforks. Seems to me one used axes. After all, how many duels would you expect to fight? I favor the saw-handled variety myself.