OT VM SUperhub and routers

Asked here because there is still intelligent life here.

The superhub does 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz wifi but not at the same time.

I have a need for both.

So using the hub in normal mode on 5Ghz , can I use the one LAN connection to power a router on 2.4?

If anybody has an idea, I would be grateful for it.

Reply to
Ericp

I don't see why not if the other router supports being slaved to an existing hub. Otherwise you may have to give it a new distinct SSID. Or buy a network repeater intended for covering blindspots.

I have not tried that particular combo but I sometimes run a second network slaved off a remote line of sight link (with distinct SSIDs) using obsolete kit I have lying around.

You may need a cross over wire and/or certain port settings to make the two routers work together though - they will each want to be the one DHCP server handing out addresses by default which won't be any good.

You may need to RTFM and delve into deeper parts of the firmware settings to get this sort of setup to work. Possible to end up with a bricked router whilst doing unusual things to them. Somehow they seem to have a habit of failing spontaneously in interesting ways where I live. I suspect lightning gets down the wire and the surge protector saves itself from damage by sacrificing the more expensive router.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Is the above really the case ? I filled in an area of poor coverage at home by adding another Access Point (on wired link to the existing router) with the same SSID and auth codes, but using a different channel from the existing AP. Both on 2.4 GHz but I'm sure the same would work for 2.4 + 5 GHz.

Clients seem quite happy to connect to whichever of the two instances of the SSID they can see better, the APs haven't barfed, and I can't think why anything else would care.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

yes. in theory

wired ethernet to second router, set it up as a 'bridge'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

very rare these days...

and/or certain port settings to make the

that is solved by making te sceond one a 'bridge' only.

Or buy a dedicated wap box - about £15 new

not worth it. If it wont operate as a bridge, buy a WAP.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

that is the easy way to do it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You don't really want a router you just need a Wireless Access Point. But if you have a router with WiFi kicking about that has an ethernet port on the LAN side just connect that to a LAN port on the VM hub LAN. Ignoring the WAN port on the router acting as a WAP. You'll also need to disable the DHCP server in the WAP router as well and set it to have a static IP address outside of the IP range but in the same subnet as the DHCP server in the VM hub uses.

Don't think that'll be a problem between 5 and 2.4 GHz. B-) Set 'em up the same and things will connect to what they see as "best".

Do they work between 5 and 2.4 GHz?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same here.

This is what I'm doing at the moment.

Superhub is the router, and has DHCP enabled and is offering 2 SSIDs on

5GHz only (one I use, one is the guest SSID - it's buried in the config).

Connected to one of the ports of the superhub is the old Dlink router that VM supplied. I don't use the WAN port at all, and just connect into one of the 4 switch ports. That has it's radio working on 2.4GHz and is offering a different SSID. DHCP server is disabled on this one.

In theory you could use the WAN port and have a different network from each but you need to be careful with address spaces (I don't bother). Equally, you could have both offering DHCP if you wanted, but there be dragons (again I couldn't be bothered).

Similarly, you could use the same SSID on both and from what I can tell, devices will just chose one. Not sure if a 5GHz enabled device would always choose that one by choice though...

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

At worst, buy a dual-band router and put the "super" hub into modem mode.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Why at worst?

Have been using an Apple Airport router (both frequencies available) for years - when super hub thing arrived it went straight into modem mode.

Obvious answer. Works well.

Reply to
polygonum

I tried this on an old Sky router being used to extend coverage of the PlusNet broadband router. The result was that the PlusNet router disabled its own SSID.

Reply to
Apellation Controlee

Many thanks to all for some good avenues to approach. :)

Reply to
Ericp