OT - Using my Dash Cam

So, firstly this is a follow up to fixing my Dash Cam question, now that have had a chance to use it in "anger".

I gave up trying to work out how to make it stick in minus temperatures and bought, what should have been in the box (IMHO) in the first place, a suction mount.

Unfortunately (as it's not actually designed for this product), the throw on the mounting arm is not as wide as on the sticky mount and it is impossible to install in the car without 15% of the top left corner being obscured by a view of the mount, but that issue is trivial compared with the bigger issues I have.

The other issue with the mounting is that I claimed that the lead was about

1 metre too short to fit around the edge of the screen and back to my lighter socket, but that was unfair. Now that I have actually fitted it, It is only 30 cms too short. (Aside - as there is no longer an expectation of cars having ciggy lighters do these sockets have a new name?) Though contrary to the experience of one of the respondents the lead traipsing down the centre of my windscreen does not bother me.

So now for a functional review.

As I haven't yet said this is a Garmin Dash Cam 30. That's one without GPS (for which you need the more expensive 35, I think). It retails at 150 quid, though I got it in a Black Friday sale for 80.

Even so, I was expecting the functionality of a 150 quid model and to say that I am disappointed with the functionality that I have, is an understatement.

Though, I must say that the build quality looks good. I don't imagine that I am going to have any problems with this product dying prematurely, but of course only time will tell with that. Recording quality is also good, even on the lower settings. No problems with any of that.

It comes with a 4GB memory card which is enough (at the lower resolution level), for 1.5-2 hours of recordings and which would be sufficient, were it not for the problems that follow. Given that 16 GB cards are available retail for 5-6 quid (and hence would be less than 2 to a manufacturer) this nickel and diming is a bit off! So that's a second fiver that I have to add to the purchase price, for another thing that ought to have been in the box in the first place.

So the issue that creates all of the further problems is that it has "event" detection which is rather too sensitive. A trip down the motorway yesterday and almost every single application of the brakes, however light, seem to have caused an event which is saved.

After my 1.5 hour trip I have almost 75% of my journey "saved". None of which was in any way interesting.

This means that when I make my return journey it is going to start overwriting itself after about 15 minutes (if you don't remove some of the saved files), instead of the 2 hours it could actually manage.

Even more annoyingly, it has left 0.6GB of the card is completely unused. That's 20 minutes of available journey time "wasted" where it could be saving stuff. Quite why it does this, I have no idea.

The event detection can be turned off, but the sensitivity cannot be changed. But why would you turn it off? You will miss out on saving the once in a million event when you do need it, if you do do that. Unless that is, you are on the ball enough to press the button to create a manually saved event, though it can't be wise to rely on that after you have been shaken up by a really extreme event.

Anyhow back to the saved files. Whilst it is possible to review the recordings on the device, there is no way to delete them, except by a complete reformat. The only way to pare-back unnecessarily saved files is to plug the cam into a computer and view them that way. Who routinely carries a computer with them every drive (It is just chance that I has it this time!)

As yet, I have no idea what the box does if the card is completely full of saved "events". Perhaps I will find out the answer to that on my return tomorrow.

All in all. If had my 80 quid back in my pocket today, I would not be spending it on this product.

tim

For those who are wondering why I have nothing better to do today than post this, see the previous post about me spending 4 hours longer in someone else's house than intended when we arrived - and with 4 girlies in the house, I have no chance of controlling the TV remote :-(

Reply to
tim...
1) Why are they called dashcams when they are invariably mounted on the windscreen?

II) Given that this "head-up" location is so popular for various pieces of aftermarket tech, why don't the car makers put convenient power sockets up there?

and c) Why are ancient cigar lighter plugs still being used in modern vehicles?

Graham.

Beats me as they are piss poor for the purpose and bulky.

They really need to design a better one, in 2 sizes: small and large and put small ones in more convenient locations.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , tim... writes

Snip

I'm hiding from Christmas, too.

I paid 80 for a ddPai M6+, and it's weird.

The hardware seems good, although it has a (potentially explosive) battery rather than capacitor. The cam itself contains a wifi server, a gps module and the camera bits. It's the size of an egg and can be instantly pulled off its magnetic connector for SD card access. The firmware is regularly updated, and recently the whole file structure in the camera was changed.

It is used with a mobile phone and, in sudden deceleration or pushing the separate wireless (stick-on the dash) button, takes a photo. The phone can then access the photo and wirelessly download a 10 sec video before and after the event.

Apart from this it's all geared up to "fun file sharing and competition" for the Chinese market.

How one would look in a serious accident poking away at a mobile phone, I'm not sure.

There is no Windows software, although all the files on the SD card can be read and acted on. A program called "Dashcam Viewer" works well here , although the current version is said to be incompatible. It can pull out a video with mapping and speed data alongside, but so far I've only been able to get a usable stand alone video from this by using a video screen grabber.

The boss of ddPai has responded to questions by saying that theirs is a new concept in dashcamming and they don't intend to produce serious software for Windows or Mac.

The HD video is too intense for my Windows machines, so I've had to come down to "medium quality".

I started out with a 64GB SD card - I then decided I needed 128GB, which alternates with it now (one for research on the PC, one in the camera).

I really don't think small cards would be any use.

The software has made me wonder whether I could revive my C++ enough to make some primitive PC software, but I think that would certainly be a step too far.

Are the Chinese all slightly mad?

Reply to
Bill

Why are they called set-top boxes when mine crashes to the floor when I try and install it that way?

To come I expect. Also a standardised mounting system would be welcome for dash gadgets. Something long overdue for mobile phones, which is why ye see folks still using handheld phones - universal mount systems are somewhat messy.

Yup. With the laws about smoking in cars (for commercial vehicles) I maybe am surprised no one from the anti-smoking lobby pushed for these being withdrawn and replaced with USB power sockets.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

They already have a smaller version of a cigarette lighter style plug and they are often found on BMW motorcycles and tractors and the like.

It's much better than the 'std' plug because it docks with a more positive action.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Wonder why that is not adopted?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well it is, amongst those things that have , it's just that the std ciggy lighter became the de facto standard and is now difficult to do without.

But I think it's a similar issue with caravans where I'm not sure there is a 'std' 12V outlet either?

Because of the lack of any better std I've always used the Anderson Powerpole connectors:

Semi-locking, self cleaning contacts, good current carrying capacity, polarised, flexible (connectors can be clipped together to form a multi pole connector) reasonably priced, reasonably obtainable (most model shops) and can be re-useable (if you solder rather than crimp connectors).

They do offer some housings that allow you to mount multiple connectors in a single plug / socket type module but I'm not sure how suited to in-car installation they are (might be ok in a caravan).

This home made solution might be getting there though:

Or these:

I have them on all sorts of kit, from solar panels to electric fridges and RC and std car chargers. I also have a HD lead directly connected to the battery that ends up in the cockpit that is very handy for powering all sorts of things in a much more reliable way than the cigarette lighter socket.

Maybe if enough of us use them they will become standard. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

MY £10 version works perfectly and came with a mount and a long enough cable! You were robbed. I am very impressed by the light sensitivity performance.

Reply to
Capitol

I use mono 1/4in audio jacks. Works for me!

Reply to
Capitol

Same reason (TV) Set Top Boxes are named as such (ever seen one on top ?)

Pass

I had a Pug 308 a couple of years ago that had a 220v outlet in the back. 20 watts max load.

Reply to
Mark Carver

I wouldn't, for several reasons (YMWV of course). ;-)

1) I'm not sure they would carry the sort of currents the PowerPoles can (and do) and hard to get heavier cables in and connected. 2) They could leave voltages across live pins (tip / sleeve) allowing shorts. 3) The plugs and sockets are 'gendered' (meaning you have to have the right quantity of each for any particular job). 4) They are quite 'long' (plugs)

5) You are limited to '3 way'.

The only place I have seen such used for power is on a small mobility scooter and then the current was very low and it was 'nice' that it be very simple / light in use (old / arthritic hands). 'Better' scooters seem to use the XLR connectors.

On the up side they are cheap, readily available and come with in-line and (neat / single hole mounting) chassis mounted sockets. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Our is the Viofo A119 that is quite shallow and wedgelike so should (even) go behind the drivers side of the interior mirror, if she had one (steel van bulkhead, no point). ;-)

Hehe.

I was wondering about how doing that might impact the cameras overall view. I know these things generally have a fairly wide angle lens but I wondered if when viewing back a recording centred on one side or another how it might affect ones perception of any footage gained on the peripheral of the 'view'?

I was considering doing that but not sure how well a suction mount would hold on the screen 'mesh' pattern?

I might take it out in our car first to get a better feel how it all works in practice.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In message , T i m writes

I think I said elsewhere that my ?10 cam came with a suction mount, has spent months and months on the bubbly stuff behind the mirror on the Jeep and hasn't fallen off, much to my surprise. Video quality is good, audio quality picks up bumps. The cable didn't quite reach, so there's an Aldi 4-way socket extender providing the last

6 inches. The ddPai for ?80 is way better video quality, and does so much more. It came with a permanent sticky mount that is also on the bubbly stuff behind the Octavia mirror. The cable reached even though the lighter socket is stupidly sited way back in the centre console.
Reply to
Bill
[51 lines snipped]

More like *sometimes* Google Maps is *almost* as good as *some* satnavs. You think I haven't tried it? There's a good reason I kept my satnav.

Reply to
Huge

Sure, but there may well be 'bubbly stuff' and bubbly stuff and 'suction cups' and suction cups Bill. Further, this dashcam didn't come with a suction cup and I'm not sure it lends itself to being converted to one.

Another point is if something can fail an MOT by being fitted to the windscreen in the wrong place, I wouldn't just want to not have it there for the MOT but not have it there at any time.

As I may have said elsewhere, I'm not so worried about using a sticky mount on the bubbly stuff but on this Transit Connect there is a very big bobbly area (the depth of the sun visors and half the width of the screen) that I may need to clear a small area of (behind where the mirror would be, if there was one) to allow the lens to look though.

Result! ;-) Daughter has two lighter sockets on the Connect but they are both regularly used for phone charging / satnav and are permanently live. So I have a hard wiring kit to tack in and to pick up a switched live from somewhere.

We may go out today so might tack it in one of the cars to see how it works *before* doing any other work.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Many of the newer suction cups are coming with that suuper sticky silicone(?) lining that's used on dashboard/phone mats. You need a crowbar to get those off.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Many of them are missing the clip at the end of the socket which locks a lighter in until it's heated up, so whilst they can be used as a power socket, they won't actually work with a cigarrette lighter.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think you'll find if you want a cigar lighter and ashtray, you do have to pay extra for a smokers' package in many vehicles

Which is all I've used them for for years, but same as 13A sockets with built-in USB chargers, it's simpler to repalce them from 1A to 2A to 3A over the years, rather than have to wait until you replace the whole vehicle to get a USB power upgrade.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My Garmin satnav decides it's connected to a computer if you plug it in to a usb port and won't do anything other than download maps.

Reply to
bert