OT: Update: Linux Mint hacked - infected ISOs on website

Sorry Chris, is this on the phone or the Linux box (as I'm not in front of either to be able to check).

FWIW I just plugged my SGS4 into my Ubuntu 14.04 and it first came up with this (which is similar to what I saw on my mates Mint setup remotely last night):

... but then a file browser window opened showing me the phone and uSD card (that I could explore fine)?

(Copying that desktop snapshot to the Dropbox folder instantly reminded me of one of the trivial but_oh_so_annoying issues I have with Linux and that it whilst in detailed view I couldn't paste the file into the folder. I had to change to icon view to do that.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I'm reading this on a 24 inch screen with a decent mouse and keyboard. I have a laptop for when I need to move it about.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Actually there are Apple fanatics too. I think it's only Windows users who don't wear blinkers... we _know_ it has flaws, it's people claiming _only_ Windows have flaws that annoys me.

Though since I spent all day writing Android software on a Linux box I might not count as a Windows user ;)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

it all depends on why you have and use a computer. I have 26" screen for dtp work.

Reply to
charles

I know, I've met some of them (when I was first seeking help on the u.c.s.m n/g. I would have to say though they were a better grade of fanatic than the sort of Linux one we have seen here and elsewhere. ;-)

Quite.

And me, especially those who actually confess to *having* to use Windows to run some 'must have' software that is Windows only!

I wonder what they would do if they had to choose just one? (A good example of that sort of thing are the Agent newsreader and even little programs like Irfanview that both OSX and Linux users have admitted they miss or just can't do without).

Whilst I don't think anyone really needs pigeonholing, especially for their use of an OS, I think 'most people' would consider themselves a 'xyz OS user' by whatever OS they 'generally' use for 'most things'.

For me it's Windows, simply because it's the lowest common denominator.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I have the 24 inch screen and decent mouse and keyboard plugged into the laptop. I then unplug for moving around/working places other than at my desk.

Reply to
Clive George

Would you like a prize for understatement? :-)

Reply to
Clive George

I don't think there are as many as there were in the beginning though. Many people have got used to the 'price' as they are also used to paying quite a lot of money for the better, big-name smartphones and tablets.

Mac Fanboys used to get all excited when an Apple product was seen on TV and now it seems *every* tablet or laptop seen on TV is an Apple. And that's probably not just for the bling, they are generally well designed and (and this is a big one for many) have good battery life.

You also get 'nests' of stuff ... where things become popular and so the de facto-standard in a particular field or area, like 'on TV' or in a particular university or campus (specifically where a Mac would lend itself to the subject).

In a similar way the Mac Mini probably set the standard for tiny, silent and low energy PC's. I am as much an Apple Fan as I am Linux, Microsoft or Dell / Toshiba (eg, I'm not) but we have three (all Intel, one bought from new) Minis here, simply because they are good.

Whenever I go into a hospital or business I generally see HP/Compaq or Dell.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Well, quite. The idea of being able to do the sorts of things I use this desktop for on a phone or tablet as easily is ludicrous.

My very first monitor was 14" and couldn't wait for a larger one.

24" seems about right to me.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's called product placement. They pay for this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are a lot more windows 10 tablets and even big screens and table top PCs in the programs I watch than there are apple machines.

I guess apple didn't want to pay enough or didn't have anything to match a surface.

Reply to
dennis

They've decided to get us upgrades at work. I went for the dual 27 inch screens over the single 34 :)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris