OT: Update: Linux Mint hacked - infected ISOs on website

Are you sure it was me that said that? You seem to be having trouble reading posts these days.

Reply to
dennis

were-tricked-into-installing-linux-mint-backd oor/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539 &ftag=TRE17cfd61

Proceed to this site.??

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Well I was a convert to Linux long before desk tops went extinct and i stil l have no real idea of how they work. So I am obviously no geek. But I won' t use windows on priciple because i just don't want to spend hours waiting for it to load, witing for it to open pages and waitin for it to run securi ty apps.

I use Windows computers in all the local libraries as and when but they all take forever to log in. I even use a couple on a college course but they a re the same plus the added advantage of being the first to use one after ha lf term and waiting for updates to finish loading.

If I havn't have been feeling smug i would have been feeling annoyed.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

What on earth is the problem. One of the best things about Linux is that they just go online straight away. Are you hoping to use the ISP disk supplied by her ISP? Some hope.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

On the Tosh, the sound doesn't work. On the Dell she can't enter the WiFi password. It seems to be locked and she can't see any obvious way to unlock it. It was working when I installed it for her, then it stopped somewhere along the line.

Not unless the WiFi is un secure it doesn't and she doesn't have an Ethernet cable.

On Linux, I doubt it ... I have never known any ISP to send 'Linux compatible' installer CD's.

Quite.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's just how it should be for the vast majority.

Ok.

No, nor would I, if that were the case (here).

They might need some decent IT support.

See above.

Again, poor IT support by the sound of it. However, at least with Windows you *can* automate all the updates so they do actually get done.

Maybe you could ask and see if they have ever heard of Linux and if not, introduce it to them. I wonder though if they / you need to do something that is Windows (or possibly inc Mac) only, like run MS Office?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, it's called 'a preview link' so the paranoid don't wet themselves. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My Win7 laptop is ready to use 32 seconds after switch on, including opening Firefox.

But it does have a SSD. Thanks again to Mr Rumm. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I found that linux takes as long if not longer to boot on my laptop. Long gone is the time when windows was bloated and linux wasn't. Neither takes more than about 20 seconds. The digitizer pen works on windows, it didn't work last time I tried linux.

If they were linux they probably would be just as bad. You really can't compare OS performance unless you try it on the same hardware doing a similar task.

Reply to
dennis

Yup.

And therein lies my issue with Linux. Pretty well *all* hardware is / was designed with Windows in mind. Less for OSX and very little for Linux. So, many of the Linux drivers for hardware designed for Windows has to be reverse engineered by men in sheds and / or hope that someone along the line has done similar. Some manufacturers have and are more pr-active re Linux support but check any hardware in PC World and see if it mentions 'Linux' on the box (and if it does, exactly what Linux').

I will agree that in general, open 'communal OSX and Linux machines might be less likely to get 'mucked up' because there is less that 'most people' could do with them. *Every* Linux install that I have done for others shows several Windows installers in the download directory where the users didn't realise that Linux wasn't Windows.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Just sit on the fence, taunt both parties and "enjoy" the fight. :-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Sorry that was not at you Tim, but at the general scene of what qualifies as a sport to some, as well as taking sides.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

It's funny, to those outside of any of us who do 'computers' we are all sad nerds ... and when I see some of the worse I think they have a good point.

I was feeling a bit better today so actually got down the workshop and did some stuff (inc turning some motor-mount belt tension sliders for the floor standing pillar drill I'm restoring).

Reply to
T i m

That's OK mate ... I rarely take anything I read here that seriously and certainly wouldn't get upset by anyone who is generally reasonable as we all have good and bad days. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It seems you're dealing with a thicko. Having done a search on "T i m", it appears he trolled some Linux groups & had his arse handed to him, hence why he's down on Linux. He now resides in my kf bin.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

If that's how you describe someone who has little idea (or interest) about software and programming then yes, you are right.

Stalker? Get a life or grow up at least FFS.

Yeah, of course that's what happened ... it couldn't have been that a tiny minority of Linux fanatics threw their toys out of the pram because I wouldn't think like them and do exactly what they said?

Yeah, course I did.

Once again, here we see some Linux geek getting it 100% completely wrong. WTF would I install Linux for myself and others if I had a down on it? I have a down (if that's the only way you can comprehend such things and in comparison) on *anything* that doesn't do what I need or do so as well or as easily as alternatives. That could be an electric drill, some 'instant' glue or an OS. For me, Linux (or OSX to a lesser degree because it seems to have better formal support from software and hardware manufacturers) is a good idea that is getting better all the time but just not there yet. FACT.

Unfortunately (and as I've mentioned before), with a minority of Linux users (we call them nerds, geeks or the worst kind, fanatics) you

*MUST* either love Linux or you are the enemy. There is no other way with them. Luckily, they and their beloved doG, are completely irrelevant to the vast majority (especially me). ;-)

In the meantime and in *spite* of the fanatics, Linux slowly progresses and may one day be more useable by more 'ordinary people', people who *do* want to access the iTunes Music Store and *can* do so from OSX or Windows.

(And when I say 'slowly' I mean s l o w l y)

Awww, his 'killfile bin' ... a little mashup of 'killfile' and 'bozo bin'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Or all 3 parties :-)

My job brings me into contact with all 3 OSs mentioned. I don't *like* OSX, but I know it works for some- I just don't find it friendly. I actually spend most of my time using Windows, but prefer Linux for some things (most things, for my own use). Horses for courses.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Try enabling (or disabling) PPTP? mode, often called "connect as media device".

Reply to
Chris Bartram

+1 and that is strange isn't it, considering the UI was supposed to be 'user friendly'? But maybe that's it, maybe it is *user* friendly but no so *user / admin* friendly or friendly to those who find their logic a bit backwards?

I would really love to be able to use Linux more. Unfortunately because my needs 'push' Linux in it's most uncomfortable way, it simply can't happen (atm anyway). And Linus himself explains exactly why (for me) here:

1) I play with *lots* of different PC's (I like building and playing etc) and I then 2) I like to play with loads of different (external) hardware and add-ons (like OBD car diagnostic readers and USB microscopes).

When I buy this hardware I normally go for what is supposed to work best and at the best price. I don't prioritise what OS these things are supported on because I can usually be confident that they will all be supported (and fully) on Windows (because that the most common platform out there on the desktop by far). Now, I often also see (sometimes for the S&G's, sometimes because it would suit, like I have a Linux only laptop) if said hardware will also work with OSX and Linux.

So I use PC's as tools, I'm not really interested in the OS and according to some, that's exactly how it's supposed to be:

"You are never, ever supposed to see an operating system". Linus Torvalds.

Of course. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

IIRC you need a shim to get some USB connected devices to show up and work correctly.

Mmm. It seems either install mtp on the linix or or tell the smart phone to use 'mass storage' mode

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher