Network Dymo label printer?

Hi All,
A couple of mates have the stand alone Dymo label printers and seeing how useful they can be (keeping stuff organised / marked up etc) I fancied one. Daughter would probably also make use of said, I was wondering if it might be work getting a wireless model?
So, I imagine some here may also use such things (other makes considered) I was wondering (after a quick Google myself) if there was a networkable one that anyone could *recommend*?
I ask because sometimes the latest / current offering isn't as good as a former model and a second hand older one could be a better bet?
I don't have a specific use in mind, just maybe marking storage boxes, equipment and document folders etc. I have a couple of the hand held (Dymo, 'LetraTag' / 12mm) label makers for the smaller stuff.
As I have a server on whenever any machine is on then I guess I could also offer a USB only printer on there as a shared device if that is a feature option.
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

I have a USB dymo printer (the tape one, not the address label one) but it ends up as a standard windows printer, so it could be shared over the LAN/WiFi to any other device on the network.

Thanks for that Andy.
My secondary question (after if it would be sharable or not) is can any / the matching software also deal with the printer being 'remote'?
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo sell a separate print server for the purpose. May as well share it from your server.
wrote: <snip> >I don't think any of the printers are directly networkable, since dymo

This one looks like it is?
http://www.dymo.com/en-GB/labelmanager-wireless-pnp-label-maker

I could ... just that means I have to position it within a USB-cable's-length of my server rather than where it's most convenient. ;-(
If it's supported by Linux I could make a std one WiFi by sharing it off a Raspberry Pi3. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 14/12/16 18:28, T i m wrote:

Axshully its possible to make it a 'raw' device and put the drivers for it elsewhere on e,g. the winboxen using the pi as server.

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 19:58:42 +0200, The Natural Philosopher

Interesting. I'll have to see if I can try it out on a mates printer before buying one myself.
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

We've a few here, and it seems that if you actually want nice graphic labels (as opposed to just printing on tiny paper), you need the designer software on the client anyway, otherwise you get problems with font and margin sizes. The client software is (as you'll know) also a nice database client for things like addresses.
wrote: <snip> >We've a few here, and it seems that if you actually want nice graphic

Agreed, assuming you are looking for an 'easy solution' (and I am).

I did set one up for someone once to be used on Windows or Mac (USB lead swap) and as you say, printing with anything than the supplied app, even those aimed at printing on labels (like postal packages) seemed very experimental / touchy.

No, I didn't know buy you sorta reminded me I may have seen the beginnings of such when I was installing for a friend. (This is the problem when being a 'hardware guy' you tend to set these things up but don't get to see what happens after that). ;-)
OOI, do you know if you can also print to the likes of a (network shared even) Dymo from Android or iOS please?
Cheers, T i m
T i m wrote:

We use ours for very specific purposes, so I've never tried Android or iOS.
I /have/ played with the JavaScript API (which is good), and it looks like there is also mobile API, but until a few minutes ago, I'd never heard of it.
http://developers.dymo.com/2011/07/19/dymo-label-mobile-sdk-for-android-beta/
And, of course, at one level, it is just another printer.
Searching for 'dymo labelwriter android' reveals that other people are finding ways of doing it :-)

I can make my Dymo print from this Acorn machine (I discovered by mistake) which prints via a PC. It just sees the Dymo as another printer. So I'd guess that would apply with anything?
--
*Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you? *

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:21:29 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Noted.
Cheers, T i m

Mine also saves the font and size for different projects. As well as having a ruler that allows you to space things for best fit. Can't see any reason not to use the proper software as it doesn't cost extra.
--
*A fool and his money are soon partying *

On Thu, 15 Dec 2016 11:18:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

Certainly so if you get the choice (like Windows and Mac users). It seems a shame that Dymo offer a Linux driver (via CUPS?) but don't offer the 'handy' printing app?
In the same way I think it's a shame that the likes of Garmin and TomTom don't offer much in the way of Linux support when their devices probably run on it?
Cheers, T i m

It's the price you pay for running a wonderful OS which is so much better than Windose in every way. According to many here. ;-)
I prefer RISC OS for much of my day to day stuff. But accept its limitations and use Windows for the things it does best.
--
*Until I was thirteen, I thought my name was SHUT UP .

On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 00:50:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"

I think that should read 'according to a tiny minority here' as I'm pretty sure that only a tiny minority are running Linux in the first place and many of those (here) would be realists and tread an OS as you or I do, a tool, a means_to_an_end. On the Linux n/g's on the other hand (and even in contrast to the moderated Linux forums where any fanaticism is nipped in the bud at the first outburst) there is no other OS or world even than that of *nix. ;-)

Ok. On what machine OOI (I'm not sure I've ever used a native RISC computer [1]) and 'why' (may I ask)?

Which ironically is 'most everyday things', or I'm guessing more people would by Macs or even find out that there is a Free (of cost, few are interested in any other use of the word) OS that would be reasonably likely to run on their existing hardware and do *most* of what some people want.
I can say that because even the most fanatical Linux geeks here admit *they* (even) still have to run some Windows Apps as there are no native Linux alternatives.
Linux is like an electric car. Great idea in principal but very restricted and totally unusable for / by many (especially when it needs fixing and no one they know has a clue and you can't find a place easily that will look at it either). ;-)
Cheers, T i m
[1] Weren't some of the PC (Intel?) CPU's RISC internally but had a CISC external interface or summat?
On 16/12/16 09:21, T i m wrote:

The best way to run windows is with an older version inside either WINE or a virtual sandbox.
Many of my linux programs have no Windows alternatives.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 10:03:51 +0200, The Natural Philosopher

No, that would be the_worst_way for the vast majority of ordinary computer users (extra layers of things likely to go wrong or making it all more difficult).

And how many of those do you think 'most people' (eg, not you or any other cut-your-nose-off-to-spite-your-face-geek) would ever miss?
Don't get me wrong, my first port of call when testing some misbehaving hardware (typically running Windows) is a Linux Live DVD or Pen drive and I often use Gparted because it's good at what it does. However, I could also use BART_PE or Hirens to do similar and often more.
So, I give a none geek a dual boot solution of Windows and Linux. The Linux is all set up to do what they require as close as possible and I show them how to do the basic maintenance stuff (like running the Linux updates).
*Every single one* will try Linux for a while, see no point and carry on using Windows (eventually asking me to take Linux off completely).
Now, if (say) I say their PC can't be upgraded to the next version of Windows and is both screwed up AND not a genuine copy ... and I give them Linux instead ... what generally happens is a while later get a call asking me if I want their PC as they have gone out and bought a new (Windows) one. This is because they either 'couldn't get on with' or simply 'didn't like' Linux (their choice after all) or they actually *needed* something like iTunes, tried to install it on Linux, found it didn't work and so just wanted a working solution.
For them, trying to run Linux as their daily desktop is like the tail wagging the dog, just the same as trying to use a Plug-In EV as a 24 hour a day emergency response vehicle where one call out could exhaust the battery.
However, since I've been involved in Linux (this time round) it *is* getting better every new release but because it is what it is ... and is 'managed' by the people like you ... it will always be a 'nearly ran' when it could be so much more.
Cheers, T i m
On 16/12/16 11:14, T i m wrote:

reverse in my case. Users who find windows difficult find linux no harder.
On Fri, 16 Dec 2016 11:25:01 +0200, The Natural Philosopher

Of course it would be. ;-)

I said nothing about anyone finding anything difficult, just the expectation of being able to do anything they may want to do and may have done previously they can no longer do (at all, often) on Linux.
After all, if *you* could do everything you wanted with just Linux you wouldn't still be running Windows programs on Windows VMs or in WINE would you eh. ;-)
I would love to be able to find an instance where giving someone Linux actually makes their day better or the usage of their machine easier but unfortunately that hasn't happened yet. But unlike you, I'm not a Linux (or any OS for that matter) advocate and so (of course) help people with whatever solution works best for *them*. If that happened to be Linux (as it hasn't to the exclusion of Windows for the must-have programs as yet), I would be very happy, well till it went wrong and they *expected* me to be able to fix it. I have done so but I was very much out of my depth, and that is in spite of building, installing and maintaining PC's (and servers running Windows, Netware and OS/2) for many many years.
It seems very little of the skill (that seemed to be more than sufficient for every Co I've worked for or individual I've helped) that I gained from dealing with DOS, CPM, Windows, OS2, Apple OS, OSX, Netware or even Android has been any use to me re maintaining Linux.
Maybe that was because MSDOS was simple and most of the rest could be (mostly) maintained via the GUI which was easily explorable, unlike the CLI?
But hey, horses for courses and I've never dissed anyone who found any one OS 'better' for their needs than something else, I just have issues with the fanatics who diss something used daily by billions of people with no issues what so ever but who actually use such things themselves!
If you don't like the heat, stay out of the kitchen ... *completely*, or STFU. ;-)
Cheers, T i m