OT: unrecognised credit card transactions

My latest credit card statement had two transactions on it which I'm 90% sure aren't mine. Both are in double-digits and I don't recognise the retailer descriptions (despite Googling). I phone my credit card company to ask if they had more info on the entries, explaining that they were almost certainly fraudulent, and was advised they would send me some paperwork and investigate.

I assumed they would also be cancelling the card as a matter of routine, however no. I asked what would happen if, having gone on the record with this, there were further such transactions (especially mindful that the previous two might have been 'testers' before the thieves hit the card hard), but the agent said 'no need, you'll always be covered for fraudulent transactions'.

Sounds very odd to me - doesn't it? The conversation will presumably have been recorded, and I know the details are logged on my account, as I called them twice - so I ought to be covered. But I think I'm going to ask them to cancel the card anyway, as I feel very uncomfortable about it...

Reply to
Lobster

Had they been testers they would have been followed up almost as soon as they went through. Thieves don't hang about once they have identified a card that works, as they know how quickly they can be cancelled.

It sounds as though the card company is treating this as a charge back. What will happen is that the card issuer will contact the retailers and ask them to provide evidence that the transactions were genuine. If they can, the transactions stand. If not, you get your money back. I very occasionally get this, as my company name, which appears on the statement, is quite different from the trading name.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Yes they always ask what is the name as it appears on the card, but sadly this is not done on online transactions. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Don't you keep accurate records of all transactions? Then you'd know for sure.

I would expect them to block the card and issue you a new one.

However you don't need to worry about being out of pocket. Despite all the media panic you can't be held liable for fraudulent transactions unless you have committed the fraud or were seriously negligent.

It can, however, be seriously incovenient if your card details are used fraudulently.

Reply to
Mark