OT: Top tip for bacon

If you want to cut the rind off, do it when the bacon is still frozen. It's much quicker.
Bill
On Thu, 14 May 2015 14:53:13 +0100

Why would you want to cut the rind off? The problem is finding bacon that still has its rind attached.
--
Davey.

Davey wrote:

I have a faddy customer.
Bill
On Thu, 14 May 2015 16:07:12 +0100

I thought you were an aerial installer. Do you use the aerials as cooking racks? A new use for old installations!
--
Davey.

Why would you freeze bacon anyway?
--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman (News) scribbled

Bulk buying.
Jonno wrote:

Freeze it in a cylindrical jumbled mess then slice when frozen at the end with a sharp chopper and it gives finely slivered stuff for cooking.
https://i61.tinypic.com/9h6rmw.jpg" target="_images" rel="nofollow">
https://i61.tinypic.com/9h6rmw.jpg">
https://i61.tinypic.com/9h6rmw.jpg

F Murtz scribbled

A packet of bacon bits from Lidl would be ideal for that. But, you'd never get rid of the fat and rind.
Jonno wrote:

This is much cheaper if you get budget or on special bacon and also it is finer and as you say you can remove rind as I do before freezing.
Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

We always freeze it, we always then have some in stock. We buy fresh meat too and freeze that to have it in stock.
We have also stopped buying small joints of meat too. We buy the much bigger joints now and cut them down to our needs, then freeze them. It avoids the need to seek out a perfect size for our needs.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Fresh meat I might just understand, but bacon has already been treated to give it a decent life. But I do have shops round here. ;-)
--
*Home cooking. Where many a man thinks his wife is.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes but I get three months' worth at a time. It's really good bacon as well. No water has been injected. When I used to get supermart bacon a load of water would come out when I cooked it, sometimes 30% of the weight.
Bill
On 14/05/2015 19:42, Bill Wright wrote:

If its proper bacon it will last three months without freezing it.
Dennis@home wrote:

But what's the point of risking it when I can store it in the freezer? I have lots of freezer capacity.
Bill

Because anything frozen never tastes as good as fresh.
--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Friday :

I think it really depends upon what it is. Bacon defrosted I am fine with.
Bread seems to be variable or perhaps the technique we use is. She buys a loaf, opens it then splits it into four slices, which she re-bags and quick freezes it. Sometimes it defrosts nice and fresh, sometimes there are dry parts - maybe her bagging is not a complete enough seal, or it opens in the freezer?
For toast, we just put the frozen bread straight in the toaster.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sorry but that's nonsense.
Bill

Tried frozen peas? Microwaved of course.
On Friday, 15 May 2015 20:13:03 UTC+1, Dennis@home wrote:

I have, and they're not as good as fresh.
However I don't know anywhere that sells *fresh* peas.
Several-days-old and rather limp peas, yes, at silly prices, but not squeaky-crisp and fresh-from-the-plant peas, no.
Owain

Have you never tasted fresh peas straight from the garden?
--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *